Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Opeler
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While not specifically Opel, I think this is of a general-mechanic type nature that makes it worth passing on...

Here in Central Indiana, our temps have taken a bit of a dip recently. At this time last year, I noticed my daily driver begin losing a bit of coolant. At that time, I discovered the ol' pickup truck had taken a warm-weather bent, and the source of the leak was in some sort of plastic fitting around the radiator. So...when I noticed the leak last week, I figured "No biggy..." and waited until this weekend to check it out.

Now, I wasn't expecting anything like this! Note, the water pump, upper and lower rad hoses,thermostat, etc., had ALL been replaced less than six months ago as part of the maintenance routine.

I was stunned to see that the over-the-counter radiator hoses themselves were the source of the leak, in a most unexpected way.

Every two-and-a-quarter inches (I measured) I found a pinhole sized mark that looks every bit as though it was made during part of the manufacturing process! Coolant was leaking from EVERY pinhole point! And, coolant also appeared to be seeping from the ends of the hose cross-section!!

I'll not name the manufacturer, but I will say that without making a product endorsement, I replaced the old junk with "Gates" hoses.

Let me add that the NAPA counterman said he had even heard of this happening before.

It was a bummer to think I could'a been working on Opels instead...

·
Opeler
30 Posts
leaky hoses

My neighbor had the same problem. It turns out that his leak was coming from the spot where they had strung a plastic string to hang the hose in the store. He returned the hose and they gave him another one that was strung the same way. You would think they would figure out a different way to hang them.:rolleyes:

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
anthor type of hose to watch out for is those cheap univerasal flex kinds with the metal wire on the inside that wire starts to rust after several months and the hoses go to heck i always use the correct hose for the job. especailly on my gt.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I would see about getting a replacement hose and keep it in the car along with a screwdriver and a couple of gallons of coolant. I've seen hoses like that last for quite a while and some don't last long at all. It all depends on......

Ron

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
:( I hate to say this, but......I got to disagree with you, Ron. I'd replace that puppy as soon as possible. Much rather do that in your own driveway with a cold engine than hot on the highway! Course, I really hate getting nasty-greasy unless I plan on it.:p

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Hey, that's not a problem, that's what I like about this site, everybody has an opinion and usually it's valid. I am of the "old school", if it ain't broke, don't fix it". But then I've changed the thermostat bypass hose on my van in 10 minutes, right after it blew on the freeway, and my SO tells everyone I'm the fastest fan belt replacer in the world on my old "Murphy Mobile" (an 83 El Dorado motorhome). One of the reasons I carry a loaded tool box in the cars/motorhomes on extended trips and spares. But back to the radiator hose, as I said, I've seen them last a long time, swollen like that, or they could go at any time. It's just a matter of convenience or inconvenience. :D

Ron

·
Super Moderator
14,137 Posts
Most people will tell you 50/50 is best, and it's certainly adequate. I've heard repeatedly though that something closer to 65% coolant/35% water is better for year-round protection.

Then again, straight water is better at transfering heat, and this is what I use for a racing engine. That, plus a bottle of Redline Water Wetter, and a 21-25 psi Stant racing radiator cap.

HTH

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Along those lines Bob, a non diluted anti-freeze will in fact freeze in a radiator, a friend found that out the hard way while I was stationed in NoDak. When the anti-freeze froze it blew apart his radiator. The more water in the radiator and less anti-freeze will transfer heat better than more anti-freeze than water. But anti-freeze is supposed to have a lubricant in it that helps the water pump bearings. I'm sure glad it doesn't get that cold here in sunny SoCal, I run pure water in all my radiators.

Ron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts