Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, since a few of the opel parts on a gt have gm parts numbers, i was wondering if anyone knew the gm part number for that model radiator. If not, i'll either get an old one re-cored or find a good radiator that i like (inlet and outlet location/size and overall dimensions) and cut the rubber mounting brackets off of the header panel and whatever else necessry to mount it.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Your best bet is to take it to your local radiator shop and have them order you a 3 core. There is a company in Ohio, I think, that has them. I don't have my notes in front of me, but I think the total for the core was $215,and the side panels that include the rubber, are kept from your old one. If you go this route, your new radiator will sit 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher than the old one. You will have to modify the bottom rubber mount. Not hard to do. Here's the post, but I didn't see the fabraction Otto posted. http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3333
I'll see if I can get a picture of mine from underneath today. Hth, Jarrell

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
A couple of us in the middle TN area took ours to a radiator shop and upgraded to the 3 row and I don't recall any mods having to be made. And the price here was under $200 it may well have gone up since I last had one done. :(

Harold

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I guess it depends on the area and the shop Harold. Jarrell

·
792 Posts
radiator

Would a aluminum radiator out perform a 3 core?

I have also heard that a a larger tube two core will out perform a three core

·
Super Moderator
8,205 Posts
Common sense should tell you that the rows to the rear would be less efficient at lowering the temperature as increasingly warmer air is passing over each new row.

I've carried GT radiators to a radiator shop and the proprietor mentioned that the ones with more fins were a better design.

There are probably examples that would back up what you say but I think the bottom line is the amount of surface area exposed to the coolest possible flow of air.

An Aluminum radiator would be lighter and better. A friend of mine is drag racing a "GT" with a big block and was told when he first bought the car that he would only be able to make a few runs at a time because of the cooling system. He contacted a specialty company explained what he had. He sunk $500+ in a radiator and solved the previous owners problem.

·
self admitted opel addict
227 Posts
Are there any radiators out there that will interchange with the 1.9 L Opel GT's (1970)? Looking for a new radiator and just not prepared to pay the price offered by OGTS right now.....Save theirs 4 wishful thinking! Am interested if anyone has a real good one (function / appearance) 4 sale. Email me....

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
searching...

There are quite a few threads around here somewhere the search should have turned up.

One option for the GT might be the rad from a '93-ish civic. Aftermarket ones, like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-9...ewItemQQcategoryZ33602QQitemZ8049414843QQrdZ1
are pretty reasonable and should fit if you can make bracketry. Not sure if the $30 new single pass aluminum ones would be up to the task, but they say radiator size is most closely related to HP and if so the Honda and Opel are pretty darn close...

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
If you already have a GT radiator and it's suspect, just go to your local rad shop and have them put in a new 3 row core. Very seldom do the upper and lower tanks go bad, and it's just a matter of taking off the tanks and soldering in the new core.

·
Opeler
399 Posts
radiator brackets

I am looking for a radiator but also for the brackets that would need to be made.
Any help would be appreciated.
I have access to a couple of Gt parts cars.Let me know if you need something and I'll check it out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts