Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I thought I had exorcised the leak at my water pump gasket but recently I noticed coolant pooling on top of the pump again. I had test-driven it several times after the last repair, and it was dry each time I checked, so I’m puzzled.

So now I want to try pressure-testing the cooling system so I can try to get a better handle on what’s going on. I’m thinking I will pump it up then watch for coolant seeping or even spray soapy water around the suspect areas. I want to make sure it’s not coming from the o-ring in the head (I replaced that last summer, fwiw).

I have a MityVac pump and a Motive Power Bleeder, so I’m thinking about buying one of the adapters they offer for radiator testing. Before I do, I wanted to seek advice on what will or won’t fit in case the weird little “porch” on the radiator inlet interferes with generic-style adapters.

Anyone have recommendations for a product?

Bob “O’Leak” :(

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
Hey Mr. O'Leak,

IDK about those adapters, and am not sure I can visualize the 'little porch'; it sounds like the regular inner ring on which the central rad cap seal rests....??? But often the box auto parts stores have loaner tools programs and occasionally have loaner pressure testers with a plethora of adapters.

Your thought about the o-ring is possible. On that last trip, was it longer than the others, or were the outside temps higher? This might have been covered before, but is there any grey or brown 'gunk' ever showing up on the dipstick or the underside of the oil filler cap?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bun”porch,” I mean the part that juts out of the radiator where the cap goes. I don’t know whether the shallow depth there might prevent some adapters from fully seating. Of course, I suppose most radiators have cores pretty close to the cap seat as well.

I don’t recall the conditions for the last few test drives. I haven’t seen anything in the oil or on the cap or dipstick. I’d like to be able to pressurize the system and closely watch for drips with an inspection mirror, borescope, etc to see whether coolant is dripping down from underside of head or out from top of pump gasket.

Soon I’ll start checking the engine swap threads for air-cooled motors 😕

·
1,719 Posts
The standard radiator tester will work no adaptors are needed.

Reactions: jmbinjax

·
1,719 Posts
When you do your pressure test be sure to first test with a cold (overnight sitting) engine because the hose clamps tend to leak when cooled and stop as engine is heated. HTH
John

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I ordered a MityVac test kit so hopefully I’ll figure something out in the next week or so (after I get the rear end back together and replace the pinion seal and install new torque tube bits and...) :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts