Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wednesday Evening Practice

In perfect Montana spring T-shirt weather! We had almost thirty cars show up, three compacts including mine. They let all three of us out at once, got my first experience in passing. Yup. Passed both of 'em. The Ford boys were not smiling when this rookie came back to the pits. This Opel has an appetite for horsemeat!!
Two stopwatches had me timed at sub-16 second laps, best was a 15.6. Track record is 15.17, last year's Fast Time was 15.44.
We put nitrogen in the tires, right side pressure only increased 2 psi after a run. This is excellent. Tire temps indicate the front camber is near perfect, but the shock travel indicators tell us that the right front is bottoming out. So we have a little spring work to do.
My coaches urged me to stay on the throttle longer going in and get back on it sooner, which introduced me to the feeling of major "pushing", the front end is sliding rather than turning. Will take a rubber spring pad out of the left rear to reduce crossweight, that should take out some push.
What an incredible thrill to get out there and raise hell! This car is very easy to drive, comfortable and feels safe. Have not had a Maalox moment yet, but can safely assume there will be some on Saturday night when we enter our First Race!! Weather forecast is good.... :D

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
jeff denton said:
Tire temps indicate the front camber is near perfect, but the shock travel indicators tell us that the right front is bottoming out. So we have a little spring work to do.
My coaches urged me to stay on the throttle longer going in and get back on it sooner, which introduced me to the feeling of major "pushing", the front end is sliding rather than turning.
If you're bottoming out, then this is the cause of the push you're experiencing. Gotta find a way to either stiffen the spring or increase travel before bottoming, preferably the latter.

Regardless, congrats on a job well done! It's not often a 'new' car is so quick right out of the gate. Sounds like the blue ovals have a lot to worry about!

Bob

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right front spring work

Thanks, Bob. I was studying my spare spring pack out of Parts GT late last night. I noticed it has some rubber pads between the leafs and a rubber cap on the end that covers the ends of the top and middle spring. The spring in the race car has none of this, I think I'll install these parts on the right side and see if spring rate picks up a bit. I wonder if I would be safe to remove the rubber bumper off the lower A-arm to increase travel...
Wouldn't it be nice if coil-over shocks were legal?

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
jeff denton said:
I wonder if I would be safe to remove the rubber bumper off the lower A-arm to increase travel...
Jeff, I commonly cut the bump stops in half for lowered street cars to avoid bottoming. For racing GT's I remove them and then remove the upper steel contact area for the bumpstops, plating over the new void in the crossmember to ensure strength. I like using bump stops on the shocks to avoid broken parts however. If you need pics I could take some of my Dad's GT front suspension with these mods.

Bob

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Done, I hope

Made a little alteration to the spring pack tonight. Took the top leaf out of the extra spring pack and cut it where it had been riding on that rubber plated bracket that goes between the lower A-arm mounting bolts and the crossmember (what do you call that thing, anyway?). By pulling the right spring bolt out, and dropping the right lower A-arm, loosening the left lower A-arm, I was able to work this shortened spring in on top of the original three leafs, leaving the right end of the spring just a tad more towards center than the end of the leaf below it. Looks to me like this should give the right side a stiffer spring.
Far as I can tell, this is uncharted territory on a GT, if it's been done before everybody sure is quiet about it.
It's all back together and I can't see any visible difference, but we'll weigh it before we run it Saturday, the scales will show the effect right away! It probably put more crossweight in, I expect we'll have to add some "wedge" on the left rear...
Yes, Bob, I'd love to see any pics of this kind of work, thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts