Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a weekend off from racing we showed up to the track yesterday worrying about weather, it just wasn't looking good. Got a few sprinkles, had to keep covering up the cars... Finally a bit of sunshine and they let cars of all classes hit the track together for some careful hot lapping to dry out the track, I could tell right away that Speedway GT was gonna be good tonight!
The spring BQS4 sent had been installed on the left rear, the coil it replaced went to the right side, the Compuscales indicated we had 56% crossweight which was a bit much and we were pushing again. But the engine really liked the corrected cam timing and 50/50 mix of 110 octane/91 octane at 36 degrees total timing!
We (special guest pit crew man was my brother Joe of the Spokane Police Department) cut a coil out of the new spring, added 3/8 wedge to the right, and added two pounds of air to the left front, this all took some cross out and I timed in at 15.88 which was third fastest in the class! Wow! That put me in the A Heat second row outside, (I hate being outside) and I ended up in fourth place, got around Mustang #64 which always used to beat me pretty good.
Competitors were all pretty impressed with #00 and it's candidate for Rookie of the Year, I got a lot of congrats from them. Weather wasn't looking too promising as we lined up for the Main, I started sixth row inside (inverted order) which I was pretty excited about! Sitting in lineup waiting for the Hobby stocks to finish it became apparent that the rulebooks maybe ought to have something about windshield wipers... Damn. The Hobbys went yellow, track wet, Speedway GT wet, track temp dipped to 45 degrees which apparently means it would be hopeless to dry it out if it quit raining, which it did, but the races were called. Rats. We had our car running and set up the best yet and were sure we could pull off a third place with some luck!
My wife said we had quite the cheering section in the heat race, people got on their feet when I went around #64 in the apex of turns one and two!
Our next race is July 9th. I am going to be on pins and needles the whole time! Might be a good time to put the new trans in. Has anybody got an extra bellhousing I can buy to make this swap happen ?
Huge thanks to BQS4 for the spring, it seems to have made a difference!
DTM, sorry I never got you the Vega second gear ratio, here it is. It appears to be right at 2.0 to 1, that is less reduction than the 2.156 of the Opel trans, would be going the wrong way in your car.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
if all your looking for is a 4 speed bellhousing, i can get you one before the 9th for sure, unless youf ind one closer to home.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Bellhousings? How many do you need? With or without a tranny attached? Jeff please oh please come on down for a visit. Bring a truck.....a big truck....with a trailer. If Kevin would have looked away for a second today he would have gotten a few and motor cross members and it is going to get worse next weekend. Price is free so get your butt in gear. Did I mention heads, cranks, blocks and enough carbs to supply all of the front range. I'm serious as a heart attack on this. A arms front suspensions, you need to make a short drive.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you Jared, please PM me with info such as what you need for a bellhousing, were you to ship it ASAP I could get it machined to fit the Vega trans and install it before the next race. Would be great to get the RPM up a tad!
Wow, Dave, how I wish I could come and load up parts. Thanks for the offer. I just can't go anywhere, I work six days a week... I'd love to have some engine parts, I want to build another 1.9 for next year's racing season!

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Ok it's 1100 miles between us so I understand. put a list together and I can make it happen.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Jeff;
Glad to hear the spring worked!!! :D
Gene

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Jeff, I do believe the support you're getting is easily explained, you're doing something a lot of us would like to do. But constraints of one type or another prevent it. I know I had a blast racing bikes when I was a lot younger, and the same good times when I was more into my model racing boats. Sorry to say the GT has eaten up of lot of my racing time, but I think well worth the time and effort spent. Keep on keepin' on, and do keep us all posted on howgozit. That way we can all be involved. OH YEAH.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Jeff I just had an offer to ship you free bellhousings. any chance you might cough up a shipping address?

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
options

Do you need a bell-housing with a hydraulic clutch set-up on it? What was the decision on the 3-speeds, as it looks like I have 2 "extras" now too. Any other odd-ball stuff you might be looking for? Might as well post a list and we'll see what we can scrounge up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts