Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Zippy Quick or Frankenstein?

I took Emmy into the local classic car mech shop today for an appraisal (again:dern loan folks) and all the mechanics were gathered around drooling at what they'd like to do to her. One guy just wanted to up and go nuts by totally redoing her - putting in a V8 and a blower for chrissake. One guy wanted to put in a Pontiac 328 (swore he could do it by cutting out the metal divisor in front and putting the radiator all the way in the nose). One guy said the best bet is just to get a turbo kit and install it - it would major up the hp and you wouldn't have to cut anything.

What are everyone's thoughts on these ideas??? Should I let one of these men have his way with her (but NOT a blower..no way.. no day...)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Well, if it were me, I would probably keep away from anything that required chopping the car up. So, I'd probably go with the turbo kit at the most.....if it didn't need major metal surgery to install. But, that's just my opinion.:D

John

·
257 Posts
kristi,

Keep everything simple, leave the engine alone if it running OK. Just enjoy the ride. Everyone that has seen my car says the same thing......." You should have dropped a V8 in her".....and I say that this engine runs and fits her like a dream. My car will never be modifed with a turbo, blower or anything that will hurt the motor. Keep it simple, leave her alone and drive.....Now my next Opel I might install cam, ported intake, High compression pistons, larger valves, carb. and free flow exhaust, I have to wait and see if my kids go to college, if not I might build a runner...

Stanley

·
Registered
141 Posts
NO NO NO!

Don't muck it up with a motor swappie! keep the Opel motor - it's a very tough hunk o' cast iron. Same goes for a turbo - the installation MUST be engineered properly, or it will overheat like a short-tempered irishman and eat pistons faster the big guy at Old Country Buffet snarfing roast beef.

There are add-ons which will get you to modern-car performance, but PLEASE keep the stock block in it - it's going to be worth more down the road!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Kristi,
I am not sure exactly what you want to do , but if a little more response and torque/HP is what your looking for, a 2.4 EFI would be a much better solution than an V-8 or V-6 . Simply because you can't just drop one of those motors in , there are a lot of other things to consider such as structural integrity and the ability to stop the car , which will need some modifications at any extent. If your not pleased with the response of the 2.4 after a while, then you could have a turbo installed.Another thing to consider and is evident to myself is gear ratio . It seems I remember one of your earlier posts saying something about the rearend needing rebuilt ( or was that one of the other cars you looked at ? ) If it does or doesn't a cheaper way to WAKE up that 1.9 is to install a lower gear ratio. I run 4.22 in my GT and it will annhilate the tires in the first 2 gears and it will get sideways if you let it . I am pretty sure my engine is only producing @110 hp at most, it has a few mods but nothing outrageous (I can't wait till i've saved enough money up for the 2.4). Unfortunately i only have a four speed so i am twisting 4200 at @70 mph in fourth it is fun though. I love it myself I just don't take it on long drives. But a Getrag 5 speed will fix that. Hope this helps in any decision you make. Hvefun

RITTER

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okie dokie.. I think I've got it. This sounds like the plan:

2.0 or 2.4
beefed up cam
dual sidedraft Weber
5 spd (which it already has)
lower gear ratio
exhaust kit/headers
ported intake manifold
42mm intake valves

Does this pretty much cover it? I want something I can just print out, put on my fridge and start praying to the money gods with.... :D

·
Super Moderator
13,577 Posts
I have my own set of recommendations for you. There's nothing wrong with what other people have suggested, it's just that some of them are expensive and others are simply difficult to obtain (such as the 4.22 gears, they're not available from Opel anymore, only aftermarket in Germany....about $900 plus the cost of installation).

*5-speed Getrag
*3.90 final drive ratio (you can get this new, from a rear-drive Isuzu Impulse non-turbo, it's a direct fit into the Opel and under $300 last time I bought one)
*lightened flywheel (improves throttle response and acceleration in the lower gears)
*electronic ignition such as Pertronix, Crane XR-700 or XR-3000
*Weber 38 DGAS
*ported intake manifold (perferably 1973-1974 model)
*2.2 litre block...much more available than the 2.4's, and they rev a lot nicer because the crankshaft is 9 lbs lighter than a 2.4's (34 lbs compared to 43 lbs....even lighter than a 1.9's @ 36.25 lbs)
*1.9 head with larger 2.0 litre intake valves and a little 'bowl' work.
*mild hydraulic camshaft with split profile to improve poor intake flow characteristics of the 1.9 head
*1975 'Sprint' exhaust manifold...eliminate heat riser of normal GT exhaust. Less chance of exhaust leaks than with most headers.
*2" exhaust pipe with 2" muffler, then a 2.5" over-axle pipe splitting into twin exhaust tips. Nice appearance, good power and torque, and with the correct muffler choice it will sound very nice but won't be obnoxious or 'farty' like some of the newer Japanese cars.

With this set of mods, you can expect about 130 hp with *excellent* torque and driveability. Top speed should be around 135-140, mileage about 22 in town and 30 on the highway, and 0-60 in about 7 seconds or so, and 0-100 in about 20-22 seconds (or about half the time it takes in stock form)

Bob

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ahhh...wow

Once again I stand in awe of the Master. Thanks many much-es. I will print that list off and plant my money tree today! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts