Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
Joined
·
4,725 Posts
Ascona Rallye Gauge Panels

Questions regarding sport instrument panel (Rallye gauges):

@qqqqqq666:

have you checked on German ebay? The sport instrument panel for the Kadetts pop up every once in a while, although they are pretty rare even in Germany. I can imagine that you can get your Ascona parts as well.

Dieter

Mod Edit: This thread was split from another. Post edited to start new topic
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,826 Posts
qqqqqq666;
There's two styles of those gauge panels. the 71-73? had one I call the "early" style, and the 74-75 (late) had a different style (see neuropel's avatar). Both have the same set of gauges in them. Which style are you wanting?
 

·
Dr Opeler!!!
Joined
·
27 Posts
@bqs4

I didn't know that. What are the differences of these two sets? neuropel's avatar is small and I can't see it well. If there are pictures of both I would like to have a look, but I don't thing I would mine having either one.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,826 Posts
qqqqqq666;
Here's the two gauge panels, the first is the early style, the next is the late style. Note, the "wood" on the late style was not on there standard. I just personlized it. All the ones we got were black.
 

Attachments

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
Joined
·
4,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
German Ebay

Most of the sellers on German Ebay will ship to the States also - its just a matter of asking. I run into that problem all the time. Those guys over the ocean just never expect that somebody in the USA might be very interested to buy their parts, and so they only check the box for shipping to Germany or Europe only. I try to bid anyway, and if Ebay doesn't allow it (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't) I send an email to the seller to please change the auction shipping information. I only had one case where the seller refused to do that - he just didn't want to...
Dieter
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,826 Posts
8an;
It's not the gauges that is being referred to, it's the actual panel itself. the left picture is of the panel the 71-73 Manta/Ascona and the right is of the 74-75
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,445 Posts
There were also some mounted on the A pillor (sp?) on the Rallyes, that had Air Conditioning. I've only seen one Rallye that was set up that way and it was at the Buick Dealership here in town a couple of months after I bought mine. I've never seen one again. Jarrell
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
soybean said:
There were also some mounted on the A pillor (sp?) on the Rallyes, that had Air Conditioning. I've only seen one Rallye that was set up that way and it was at the Buick Dealership here in town a couple of months after I bought mine. I've never seen one again. Jarrell
Duane (Mantascona on these forums) has one of these in his Manta. Looks pretty cool. I have some pics of it if you want a reference.

Bob
 

·
1000 Post Club
Joined
·
4,118 Posts
Raylle Bob;

You are too quick. I was drafting a response concerning Duane's Manta when I saw your response. :p
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,826 Posts
Well, I know of two more, Todd Kirby (neuropel) has one on his high option 73 Manta Rallye, and Rodney Killingsworth (Killer TX GT) has one on a 75 Ascona Sedan he bought off another TX Opeler.
 

·
Member 1000 Post Club
Joined
·
1,520 Posts
Mounting differences

How does the early style gauge mound to the dash? I see how the later style mounts. The early style seems to have a countoured edge to fit moulding line of the dash. It seems the mounting screws go from inside the dash, outward into the gauge panel. Who can tell me if I'm right?

Thanks
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,298 Posts
Below dash Rallye Gauges panel mounts

Paul said:
How does the early style gauge mound to the dash? I see how the later style mounts. The early style seems to have a countoured edge to fit moulding line of the dash. It seems the mounting screws go from inside the dash, outward into the gauge panel. Who can tell me if I'm right?

Thanks
Both mount in the same place on an Ascona, later style being more obvious with the ears and earlier? style mounting from the top, inside of dash under radio. The "contoured edge" model is the more elegant of the two, IMO, and is the one I used in my 1300 mile '75 1900. More difficult for the installer to mount and that's why I think they came out with the "eared", later? version.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
5,298 Posts
Early vs. late panels and gauges

BQS4 said:
qqqqqq666;
There's two styles of those gauge panels. the 71-73? had one I call the "early" style, and the 74-75 (late) had a different style (see neuropel's avatar). Both have the same set of gauges in them. Which style are you wanting?
Same type (ammeter, clock, OP), yes, but each "set" and their panel mount their individual gauges differently and gauges can only be used with their respective panels (i.e. are NOT interchangeable). :(

"Eared", late? panel uses "U" brackets and screw posts on back of gauges. "Contoured edge", early? panel has gauge mounting posts molded in at back of panel and uses gauges with metal "L" brackets rivetted to opposite sides of each gauge and screws to mount gauges, much like the GT's gauges.
 

·
Senior Contributor
Joined
·
695 Posts
BQS4 said:
Well, I know of two more, Todd Kirby (neuropel) has one on his high option 73 Manta Rallye, and Rodney Killingsworth (Killer TX GT) has one on a 75 Ascona Sedan he bought off another TX Opeler.
I also have a set of gauges on my ($31.00) 73 Manta Rallye. The 75 Ascona Sedan was not purchased, it was free it also came with a 74 Ascona Sedan.
rk
 

·
Member 1000 Post Club
Joined
·
1,520 Posts
So... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

To mount the early style rallye gauge set in a 75 Manta, I would have to: 1. remove stereo, 2. determine the proper location of the holes to be drilled; 3. install screws, from inside-out; 4. find a really short screw driver to tighten the screws... 5. wire up the gauges...

TIA
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Found that pic of the vertical gauge panel installed in a Manta. This is from Duane's car.
 

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,826 Posts
Word of note here. This gauge panel, Bob has posted, is best used on the 71-73 dash. The 74-75 dash, you'd lose the use of the driver side fresh air vent.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top