Opel GT Forum banner

Rallye reincarnation

10K views 74 replies 14 participants last post by  tonykim 
#1 ·
I picked up a 1.9 kadett rallye about a month ago and as in in school hope to slowly turn it into a replica of sorts to the actual rally cars they were running during the early 70s. Already have 1 inch drop suspension all the way around and new bushings waiting to be installled when I get a break from school and was fortunate enough to find Allen locally who set me up with a high compression motor and trans. Eventually this will be a cruiser and occasional autocross car.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
First thing I am going to tell you is you have to change your user name. That is a 1970 Opel Kadett, not a 69. The front lighted fender marker gives that away, the tail light lenses are metal, and that interior color for a Rallye was only available in 1970, all other years it was only black. Looks though you have a real nice project, just rebuild it correctly to keep the value...don't start straying from the original too much
Keith

#6 ·
I really envy you guys in the states u have access to the coolest cars Iv now added one of these to my bucket list but being that I own 1 of the 4 gts in Australia finding one of these seems impossible lol hopefully one day when I win lotto il have the funds to import one seriously cool car mate and I'm completely jealous

#9 ·
Spyder, no worries I used to it from the hot riders around here you won’t hurt my feelings. I very likely will be in touch as I get into putting the motor and trans back in just for info/ references.
Spud thanks for the kind words, it wasn’t easy to find this even here where they were sold. But I am jealous of you guys and the old classic Holden’s. I’d love to get my hands on an old hemi 6 motor from down there.

#10 ·
Yesterday was a long day of fighting with bolts 2 in particular while changing out the front leaf springs. Everything from a hammer to and impact and even a blow torch was used for those two pesky buggers. But in the end the 1” drop leaf is in. Now onto the rear coil springs.

Attachments

#12 ·
It’s been a while but I’ve slowly been chipping away when I’ve had time. The lowering suspension is in front and back with shocks installed in the back however I need to weld in a new shock mount on the front passenger side. Interior is stripped out and hopefully the roll cage will be one of the next things we tackle. I picked up a set of old Libre wheels the Datsun 510 scca guys used to run for cheap but need adapters for the bolt pattern so we shall see if they fit. I don’t want to flare the fenders if I don’t have to. I have an addco away bar for the front waiting to be put in and 4 hella fog lights that will be mounted to the front on an arch tube attached to the bumper mounts on the frame. Built some control arms out of 1 inch cold rolled steel and attached the eyes off of the stock arms. (the car should bend before these do ). The black and white photo is what I’ve been using for inspiration for the general direction I’m headed.

Attachments

#13 ·
Stripped out interior. Only spot of real rust is right behind the cross brace of the frame rail infront of the wheel well.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
Work on the rallye has been very slow of late due to working about 60 hours a week and an injury at the beginning of the year. However I’m excited that I got the wheels and spacers sorted tonight (been fighting with them on and off for a while). Should have a nice look when done. Now on to building the motor for it so I can hopefully hear this thing run by next spring. The tires are much wider than stock and I didn't think id get them to fit without cutting the fenders (I'm not doing that) the wheels are 1970s vintage American racing libres. 13x8. the tires on them currently are 215/60/13.

Attachments

#16 ·
Very nice project!

#17 ·
cool project

Your car looks awesome. Nice to see a car being built for a mix of street and track use. I have just started my Rallye project after sitting in storage for too many years. My car saw a good bit of SCCA type events in it's day while being driven by it's previous owner. It is lowered at least 2 inches with modified Opel wheels tucked inside the fenders with 205s. I love the wheels you have. If you need newer tires or are looking for something a little shorter there is a seller on ebay with 215/50-13s. I think they are about 1.2 inches shorter than years and only about .4 inches wider. Might give you some needed height clearance with your lowering springs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VITOUR-For...489402&hash=item2cf39b3a37:g:GBMAAOSwvt9dYYC4

Attachments

#18 ·
Your car looks awesome. Nice to see a car being built for a mix of street and track use. I have just started my Rallye project after sitting in storage for too many years. My car saw a good bit of SCCA type events in it's day while being driven by it's previous owner. It is lowered at least 2 inches with modified Opel wheels tucked inside the fenders with 205s. I love the wheels you have. If you need newer tires or are looking for something a little shorter there is a seller on ebay with 215/50-13s. I think they are about 1.2 inches shorter than years and only about .4 inches wider. Might give you some needed height clearance with your lowering springs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VITOUR-For...489402&hash=item2cf39b3a37:g:GBMAAOSwvt9dYYC4
I Love the cars with vinyl tops, Your car should be a looker when its done! I love the height of that one ! mine obviously doesn't sit that high but hopefully down the road that's an option. the clearance I'm thinking is going to be okay but the issue is they don't make this size of tire anymore, at least not that I've been able to fine so eventually it'll be getting a set of 205 r888r's to run around on. these will do for now however. need to get tearing into the motor so I can get her running and driving again by spring.

#19 ·
Well here I am with another much to infrequent update. I have been working on tearing apart the front end to rebuild it with new bushings and redo all brake and steering components. Today I dropped both the head and intake manifold off at the machine shop to have larger valves and port the head and manifold. Also looks like I will be rebuilding the lower end just trying to iron out the specific components that will be chosen. Been having a hell of a time getting the tie rods and ball joints separated so I can get all the front end sandblasted and start putting it back together. Anyone have any suggestions for stubborn ball joints and tie rod ends?

Attachments

#20 ·
Does that front end already have a lowering spring in it? It doesn’t look like there is any spring tension on the lower arms by the picture. On ball joints and tie rods, I use the hammer of Thor...I’m not kidding...they are called Thor hammers that are big heavy brass hammers the British used for their wheel spinners. Also I use a large round brass bar to strike the top of the tie rod studs to pop them loose

#24 ·
well I dropped off the block today at the machinists so the motor will be 2.0 pistons, polished crank and rods for lower end. top end will be street ported according to rallybob's writeup, 1.72 intake and 1.5 exhaust valves 400 Pontiac standard double springs, ogts combo cam and hydraulic lifters. and ported intake manifold. as of right now ill be using the webber 32/36 carb That could change to a 38 if it isn't enough to support it.

#26 ·

Today I went and picked up the head, block,and manifold from the engine shop. 1.9 low comp to 2.0 flat top pistons in the block. The head was ported had 1.72 chevy intake and 1.50 chevy exhaust valves put in new valve springs retainers seats etc. Ogts combo cam, ported intake manifold to open it up a bit. Now to put it all back together and for the first time have a running heart for my rallye.

#28 ·
Always nice to get stuff from the machine shop!

What are the retainers? And did they set the valve tips to standard height above the chambers/deck?

Looking at the pistons, I cannot tell if they are actually sticking above the deck but it sure looks like they are. That needs to be checked for sure.

#29 ·
They look fantastic, I really like the intake plenum, man everything looks so sharp!!! Speaking from someone who did get the pistons back slightly above deck, my first thought was, gee I wish my pistons would have come back like that. The machine shop I had did everything else great on the block except for that. Oh, well. Yours look better than mine did anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.