Votes: 22 6.3%
  • Ignition Switch

Votes: 67 19.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 345 Posts

·
Opel Addicts
2,462 Posts
Inner tie rods and lower ball joints are getting more difficult to find lately.

Vickie

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Rarest Part

The rear molding is a tough one, so is the ignition. If we are talking original, the duckbill drain that the roof vents drain out of the body. OGTS makes reproductions, but I have never seen originals.

Bob

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
The little panel on the drivers side that covered the access to the flasher on the bottom of the instrument panel. There was one on Ebay last week. They often were thrown away. Also the plastic cover for the fuses. My opinion, Jarrell

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
the rear trim ring is hard to find but every item on the list except the mirrors I didn't like is sitting here and had no interest.

·
Senior Contributor
673 Posts
Rare parts

Body panels, floor panels and the rear trim are the hardest to find, everything else is reproduced. I am fortunate to have three rear trim pieces in good to excellant shape and one NOS still in the Opel GM wrapper. The clips are hard to locate but I think I could find some that would work at a GM dealer ship, I hope.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Thanks eBay .....

Thanks to eBay and a member or two on this site I have been able to source most every part needed. Even found a couple of NOS headlight covers when the bodyshop told me the originals looked like they had been sat on and bent out of shape. As for the rear trim mounting clips; a search for them turned up zilch so the bodyshop guy suggested filling the holes in the body when the rear panel was repaired. Then blasting and filling the trim strip itself with urethane body filler ( the strip was made up out of several separate sections welded together ). The strip was then stuck onto the car body and neatly filled along the join to look like it is actually still a bolt-on strip. Result = no holes in the rear edge and no rust trap on the inside of the trim strip. It looks superb.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
MY vote . . .

Rear trim panel, matching "stock" right mirror, plastic fuse cover, duckbills, rubber boot around fuel line fitting at tank, resonator bumper, cable clip for heater water valve, engine cradle spacers (you'd be amazed at how many GTs no longer have these once the engine's been out). ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
'68 - early '69 GT front bumper(s).....

·
Administrator
10,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The part I worry about most on my GT is the outside mirrors. They are real fragile and I'm always concerned about people getting too close to them at shows. One bump and they'll dent. I have a spare passenger side but none for the drivers.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,188 Posts
Properly functioning Solex.

Rally/driving light support bar.

VDO oil sender with correct rubber cover.

·
Super Moderator
13,445 Posts
opelbits said:
Properly functioning Solex.
Urban legend, I don't think they exist! :p

Reactions: One Fine GT

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
solex

I've had many solexes that functioned perfectly.... as door stops paperweights and shotputs. Used one as a wheel chock and it worked fine too.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
rear trim piece, front emblem, and uncracked original fuse block. oh yeah a brake booster!!!! MY solex works good... well it did, still debating if it was only the booster... i think its fine,I'll let ya know when I find a brake booster... i gotta stick up for those original opel parts!!! all i can say is that before the brake booster took a crap on me, the carb worked great.... ;)

·
Opel Key Master
5,002 Posts
Rarest part....

I think the plastic chrome strip with clips that goes along the front opening of the body is the hardest to find original-it cracks and usually isn't flexible enough to use over. I have NOS clips for them, but no trim-been using 3m fender trim moulding, works well.
Keith

·
Administrator
10,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
opelspyder said:
I think the plastic chrome strip with clips that goes along the front opening of the body is the hardest to find original-it cracks and usually isn't flexible enough to use over. I have NOS clips for them, but no trim-been using 3m fender trim moulding, works well.
Keith
Good one Keith. I forgot about that one. It goes around the grille.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Rare parts

I am new at this, but I couldn't find an original clock that works. I took a shot at repairing mine... and it works now! I just didn't want to spend the big bucks for a replacement quarts version.

·
1000 Post Club
4,106 Posts
An unbroken plastic heater control plate for the GT

1 - 20 of 345 Posts