Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been back ordered form motolit for 2 months on a gt shop manual...I give up on motolit ..here is what is on ebay...they are priced from 5-30 bucks...

Which is better ..A B C or D..or neither..Is there something else out there that is better?

Attachments

·
Detritus Maximus
2,790 Posts
B+D are your best bets. D would be the hands down winner overall, with the Clymer (B) coming in second. A is just select parts of D reprinted. Not familiar with C. If you get D, take real good care of it. Don't use it while actually working on the car, manuals get torn up fast that way. The wiring diagrams and spec pages can be copied on to a thicker card stock (they will last much longer, plus you can 'hi-lite') at Kinko's or some place. If you get D, do your best to get B also. There's nothing quite like having multiple mauals.:cool:

·
648 Posts
I have B and D. B is typical Clymers...just the basics...not too detailed. D is better with the specific details, but I'd like to see more. It was good enough for me to do my rebuild with, however.

Just my 2 cents,
Jc

·
Opeler
231 Posts
Get D. The Clymers gives just enough information to get you into real deep trouble. $30.00 is a fair price for D

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i have B and B only, not a big fan of that book. its not very detailed but it does have good tables with torque specs and tolerances...ect.

·
Opeler
160 Posts
I have B. Wish I had D. I also have a chilton for GT and a Haynes for Manta out of the 71-75 years. For all the mechanical stuff that's similar between a Manta and GT I tend to use the Haynes. Kind of split between the Clymer and the Chilton for the rest. Darn, I wish I had D!
BD

·
What's a Nopel?
352 Posts
D is definitely the best of the bunch

Good Luck
Marc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Source for manuals

You might also check out www.books4cars.com . They usually have a couple factory manuals on hand. The web site isn't always current, so call them if you see something you want. I've gotten factory manuals for a 55 Pontiac Chieftain and a 72 Opel GT, and they've both been in great shape and delivered in a couple days.

·
rust + magic = gold!
169 Posts
I also bought a copy of the 72 GT Factory manual from books4cars.com - the cover was a bit grimey but it's complete and in good condition. It's the first book off my shelf when I need it! I also have letter "A" Workshop Manual but I rarely look at it - it's not as thorough as the Factory Manual.

·
Opel Key Master
5,230 Posts
Rate these manuals

I have A, B, and D. A was my first, and is basically a short version and drawings instead of pictures of the pieces you are working on. B is descent, but general to all cars it seems...has some performance tips. D is the best overall, but be sure that if you are buying the 70 model book, your wiring diagram is the same as your car. I use it and a 72 models for the wiring diagram. I have a 70 model spare factory manual in great shape for $20.00 and if you want a 72 with no cover it is 10.00. Prices plus shipping.
Keith

·
Registered
28 Posts
really? well my pops is going to buy me a service manual for my 72 GT and any help on where to buy the best one possible would be awsome... I see like 5 of them on e bay but after reading this thread I wanna make sure i get the right one

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
the basic manuals tell you how to do things but don't go into detail and the god manuals assume you know to much and don't give examples.. haven't found one manual to do it all yey. I use the hayes, the buick shop manual and the 70-75 manta one.

the all are terrible about telling you how to fix the trans linkage....
C

·
Registered
28 Posts
well can I get the "d" manual for a 72 GT and if so is there any place i can buy a copy online aka can anyone send me a link to a site where i can get a copy or am i just going to have to keep my eyes open and on ebay often?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts