Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wiring a GT. Yes or No?

I have seen many recomendations to re-wire the lights, but is that the only problem area? With a car pushing thirty, is aging insulation a problem? The GT electrical system seems to be a basic set up with only a few accessories. Has anyone replaced their wiring? Is this overkill or worth it?

The wires under the hood on my GT look like they could be re routed a bit more efficiently. I have a few wires that look to be replacements that are in no way routed in the prettiest mannor. The choke wire runs across the car just behind the seal for the hood below the wind shield.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nasty Wires=Fires

The reason headlight wiring is the main area for concern is that this wiring sees the most abuse and with the high rubber content of insulation they become very brittle over time. After a while the wires look like the wifes hair in the morning after all the rotating back and forth(the wires).Then add that with a few dry leaves that find thier way in there and one hot dry night you turn the headlights on either they work, they blow a fuse, or if your real unlucky poof! look at the pretty colors.
And I believe there is another most dangerous spot. The fuse panel! I dont know how many times i´ve kicked mine. Getting those thirteens in there isn´t the easiest task.Or the plastic just becoming brittle, the panel breaks and falls down.And i have looked at it the wiring is all over the place, no loom of any kind. So on my Perfect junkyard dash I rewired everything that had a wire all the way to the plugins of the fuse box , once i put it in i will attach them to the inside firewall with wiring hangers.In the rear i replaced all wires (two were still there) and figured out what else was needed to get all lights working. Oh and on the fuel sending unit I rerouted this along the floor pan along side the driveline hump.(mine was under the foot striker panel and worn bare in two spots) In the engine bay i replaced wires and made my own loom (elec. tape and split loom) neatly relocating wires where i wanted them. (color coded of course)
On the elec. choke wire i ran mine along the firewall where i located two old hangers under the noise protector.Seemed like the best place for them and nothing else was there.(On these hangers i also put on heat shrink so vibration wouldn´t work on the wire) Hope this gives you some ideas.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts