Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my 1970 GT rear axle with one out of a 1973 GT last night. I've replaced shocks, control arms, etc. in the past and never had a problem with things lining up; however, I really struggled with all of the attachments last night. I connected the lower control arms and shocks without a problem but the cross bar (I don't remember the technical name for it) wouldn't attach to the axle. It appeared to be about 1/4" too short. I then unattached the shocks and control arms and was able to attach the cross bar. I then reattached the shocks and attempted to attach the control arms; however, one appeared too short and the other too long (like the axle wasn't square to the car. I finally unattached the shocks, attached the left control arm and was able to get the right control arm bolt in place by having my son pull back hard on the right side of the axle. It is my understanding that the 70 and 73 axles are interchangable. I've checked the parts book and the rest of the axle attachments, (control arms, shocks, etc), have the same part numbers from 69 through 73. Has anyone else had this problem? Have I missed something?

·
Registered
305 Posts
If my memory serves me right I remember reading on this site that the rear suspension must be "loaded" before re-attaching the panhard bar. By loaded that means a preset amount of weight must be on the suspension (250-300 lbs rings a bell) so the bar can be properly refit and provide the support that comes with it. I am sure someone else on the site will correct me if I am wrong.
Jeff

·
Opeler
192 Posts
rear axle alignment

It has been a while for me but if I remember correctly, I have always attached the bar without the shocks attached, with the springs out and raised the axle high to the body. The control arms are attached first, then raise the axle. Attach the panhard rod.Then lower the axle, put the springs in, and finally the shocks. The panhard rod always confused me until I found out by trial and error. Good luck
Gerry

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
With the rear end hanging down the panhard bar would not be level so it would seem to be too short. Remember the bar should be almost level with the weight properly sprung on the axle. When it's level it will be "longer", see?
I found the neatest way to work on the rear of the car is when it's on the trailer! It's like the car is on a workbench, the floor jack can be rolled around on it, cement blocks under the tires and jackstands under the frame.
Just be sure to have the trailer blocked up so it can't tilt at the wrong time, that would suck...

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Actually the 1/4 inch is about right with the original springs. When the springs sag the panhard becomes off. You can lift up on the car to put it on but when back down it will push the rear off of square. Any weight in the car will make it worse. The adding weight was to set an adjustable rod not a stock one. Hope that helps

·
Opeler
23 Posts
If I can understand the problem: you couldn't attach the panhard bar?

I couldn't either, till I found a great solution!! You have to attach the panhard bar on the upper bold, when you have done this, you should make the lower 'bold' (which is fixed on the rear axle) a bit longer ( 5 inches or something like that ) by putting a metal pipe over the threat of the fixed 'bold'. Now you can slide the panhard bar over the metal pipe, and just by pressing, or using a hammer, ( use some graise also ) you can attach the panhard bar on the rear axle. When she's attached, take the metal pipe away and screw the rod. It's as easy as that.

I don't think the rear axle of the '70 GT is different from that one of the '73 GT.

Joost

1 - 6 of 6 Posts