Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a gasket for the differential cover for a GT rear axle. Contact me in this thread or in a Conversation message if you have one for me.

·
Super Moderator
13,945 Posts
If you still need one, I have a Felpro new in the box.

·
Registered
893 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
But why not buy a sheet of gasket paper and cut your own using the cover as a template ? Or even easier, just use loctite or some other RTV between the cover and the housing.
I was thinking the same thing but then I thought the gasket for this application was a special type that swelled up as it makes contact with the gear lube. I’m not sure if that’s an old wives tale or not, if true then it would be critical to use the right one. I’ve gone through a ton of gasket material for carb mounting, thermostat housing etc.

I’ve also heard namely from “The Right Stuff” reviews that people do go gasketless (if that’s even a word) using only the RTV’s so I guess it must work? I’ve always been to chicken to try it that way.

·
Registered
835 Posts
That one is for the small ohv axle, not for a CIH engined GT. But why not buy a sheet of gasket paper and cut your own using the cover as a template ? Or even easier, just use loctite or some other RTV between the cover and the housing.
Look again -- they say it fits the 69-73 GT

·
Registered
893 Posts
There are paper gaskets sealing the transmission parts so I don't think that the diff cover would be different. And regarding using RTV instead of a gasket, it was six years ago when I bolted on the diff cover on my Commodore axle with only RTV and there has been no leaks ever since.

·
Registered
893 Posts
There are paper gaskets sealing the transmission parts so I don't think that the diff cover would be different. And regarding using RTV instead of a gasket, it was six years ago when I bolted on the diff cover on my Commodore axle with only RTV and there has been no leaks ever since.
Look again -- they say it fits the 69-73 GT
Yes, but they mean the 11SR version. All 10S/N, 11S/N/SR, 12S/N, 13N and 16N with a manual transmission equipped cars had the small ohv rear end.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Speaking of Splendid Parts; I know I have had that website up on my computer before... in english. Now, I can't seem to find the button that translates.

What's the secret?

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts

·
Administrator
10,257 Posts
Get a sheet of gasket material and a small ball pein hammer. Lay the sheet on the cover and tap your way around to cut the gasket to shape. The ball end can be used to punch out the bolt holes.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Speaking of Splendid Parts; I know I have had that website up on my computer before... in english. Now, I can't seem to find the button that translates.

What's the secret?
I have Google Chrome and I put the cursor anywhere on the page and right-click, and a window pops up that says "Translate to English"

Hope this helps

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got someone sending me a gasket. I'll use the sealer that Harold showed above. The axle will be getting a chromed cover that I got from Opellane. It's super slick, yet with some chromed-over pock marks where it seals due to rust pitting, so I'll feel better if I have a gasket and sealer to make sure things don't leak.

Thanks for everyone's input and offers!

:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got someone sending me a gasket. I'll use the sealer that Harold showed above. The axle will be getting a chromed cover that I got from Opellane. It's super slick, yet with some chromed-over pock marks where it seals due to rust pitting, so I'll feel better if I have a gasket and sealer to make sure things don't leak.

Thanks for everyone's input and offers!

:)
I have had a lot of Loctite Products Training and "The Right Stuff" totally replaces the gasket. Just follow the directions on the package, it is not as forgiving as RTV on the set time. Just FYI, Motion Industries will give you samples of Loctite Products at their locations if you ask them. Their salesmen have "kits" with the samples. Motion Industries and NAPA are both part of the same company.....Genuine Parts Company.......You can also get your Seals and Bearings from Motion Industries, just take yours in for a measurement or give them the numbers off of them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts