Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Opeler
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a bunch of questions regarding the Manta 400 rear axle:

1) Question for RALLY BOB or anyone who might know ... what are the differences between the manta 400 phase I, II, III rear axles between themselves and then between the standard manta axles?

2) Also does phase I, II, III refer to the years or the level of modification?

3) Also how difficult would it be to adapt one of these rear ends to the Opel GT if you planned on the disc brake conversion (I'm pretty sure all the manta 400 rears have discs)?

4) I found someone who has one in europe and I'm waiting on a price. Any idea on how much they cost before I get surprised?

5) And, which of the manta 400 axles would be easiest to modify for the GT?

6) Do all the 400 rear axles have 75% locking big plate zf differential?

7) Any idea on the dimensions and pertinent locating points?

8) Do the manta 400 rear axles handle more power than the standard manta/gt rear? if so, how much can they handle?

9)how much more power can a opel gt rear end handle if a Quaife rear diff is used?

I know that's a bunch of questions but hopefully the knowledge bank will have some answers.

Take care and thanks guys,

Francis

·
Super Moderator
5,927 Posts
I moved this to the Engine Swap Forum, since it is more like a swap than a straight question, and probably only required if a much more powerful engine is used. I also deleted the same question in the "Axle" forum, since I try to keep the same thoughts in one thread.

·
Super Moderator
13,844 Posts
) Question for RALLY BOB or anyone who might know ... what are the differences between the manta 400 phase I, II, III rear axles between themselves and then between the standard manta axles?

The Manta 400 axle is different from normal Manta B axles (which internally are the same as the GT and Manta A). I believe they used a Commodore-based rear axle.

2) Also does phase I, II, III refer to the years or the level of modification?

This refers to the different levels of engine development. Phase 1 was 240 hp, phase 2 was 255 hp, and phase 3 was 275 hp. At phase 3, the rear axles started breaking in the Manta 400.

3) Also how difficult would it be to adapt one of these rear ends to the Opel GT if you planned on the disc brake conversion (I'm pretty sure all the manta 400 rears have discs)?

The axle is about 4" wider than a GT axle, and uses a totally different suspenion link system, and has NO torque tube. You will have to custom-fit everything for a GT. Also, it is a 5-lug axle.

4) I found someone who has one in europe and I'm waiting on a price. Any idea on how much they cost before I get surprised?

No idea!

5) And, which of the manta 400 axles would be easiest to modify for the GT?

There was only one axle type I know of.

6) Do all the 400 rear axles have 75% locking big plate zf differential?

Probably 75% or 80% ZF, but I'm definitely not certain.

7) Any idea on the dimensions and pertinent locating points?

Nope, sorry.

8) Do the manta 400 rear axles handle more power than the standard manta/gt rear? if so, how much can they handle?

They were reliable at phase 2, and not-so-reliable at phase 3.

9)how much more power can a opel gt rear end handle if a Quaife rear diff is used?

The GT axle can take 250 +- hp with a good LSD, but the torque tube would pretzel if you actual had some grip to the road. Hence Opel's reasoning for eliminating the torque tube setup on the Manta 400 (and the Ascona 400 before that).

Bob

·
Opeler
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all the info Bob, Please start Legere Motorsports

Thanks for all the info Bob, Please start Legere Motorsports

1 - 4 of 4 Posts