Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the size is of the rear brake cylinder bolts (that hold it to the brake dust shield). I have replacement cylinders from opelGTsource but they don't provide the bolts.

Thanx.

·
Super Moderator
9,647 Posts
Does anyone know what the size is of the rear brake cylinder bolts (that hold it to the brake dust shield). I have replacement cylinders from opelGTsource but they don't provide the bolts.

Thanx.
You can reuse the old ones on the car

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,896 Posts
M6-1.0 (coarse thread)

That's the normal thread pitch, the next thread pitch is fine thread and that is M6 - 0.75

In the excel attached to this post you can find the metric bolt sizes from M1,6 up to M52 with the different thread pitches, normal pitch, fine pitch, extra fine pitch and extra extra fine pitch

Attachments

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,239 Posts
M6-1.0 (coarse thread) x 12 mm (.47 inch) long hex head bolts.
10 mm long looks too short.
I just checked.... M6-1.0 is right, and a 12 mm length will work fine. These small bolts work fine; they only have to hold the cylinder in the backing plate, not take any braking force. Braking force is actually taken by the recess on the cylinder where it fits in the backing plate, and the lower shoe anchor.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
word to the wise. one should just have one thread asking questions. not a thread for each question. Title it like chrislynn's opel questions.

if new threads for every question continues, guys are gonna get irritated and be less likely to want to help

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
word to the wise. one should just have one thread asking questions. not a thread for each question. Title it like chrislynn's opel questions.

if new threads for every question continues, guys are gonna get irritated and be less likely to want to help
The threads I'm adding are by topic so that they can be searchable and possibly help others. Trying to keep them specific as far too many topics get derailed and no longer represent the original topic.

Are you saying that each member here only asks one question then adds to it to that same question for different topics.

I thought this a forum to ask and answer questions, I didn't realize there was a limit. I'm a member of the Ford truck forum (for my '48 Ford F6), Pontiac Trans Am forums (for my '79 S/B Trans AM), Lotus (for my 2012 Lotus Evora). I've never had any tell me not to ask too many questions.
I've heard that it might be a duplicate posting, etc. but I've been trying to search prior though I could have missed them.

I've found the information on this forum very helpful. And it is much appreciated. And once more familiar with the Opel GT, I will contribute more.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
1,239 Posts
IMHO, you're fine. I too am on other auto forums. No limit to threads, just search for a topic first to avoid wasting time. NDW I am going to wade through 20 pages of meandering topics....unless it is on a single topic, like an engine build.

·
Bikini Inspector
5,771 Posts
If your question is a new one... Start new thread. If your answer can be found by searching more... Is what im talking about. I should have elaborated more in orevious post. If new threads are started in topics that have been covered many times us where the irritation comes from. Thats on majority of forums

It doesnt bother me so i dont really know why i bother trying to help. But i am just trying to help.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
If your question is a new one... Start new thread. If your answer can be found by searching more... Is what im talking about. I should have elaborated more in previous post. If new threads are started in topics that have been covered many times is where the irritation comes from. That's on majority of forums

It doesn't bother me so i don't really know why i bother trying to help. But i am just trying to help.
He is right, and yes you are helping FT. Use the search function on the main page. There is a lot of "Stuff" here. Since 2002. I still do and I've been here since 2002. There is also a FSM that can be downloaded. No kidding, there are really no new questions. A few but not many. Most have been asked and answered a lot. Jarrell

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
Umm, there are some basic rules here regarding making posts and starting new threads. Some folks here have their opinions as to what those are. Some folks are right. Some are less right. The Moderators are ALWAYS right. Even when we are not....

First, ALWAYS search before asking a question.

Second, if you find a thread that ALMOST answers your question, but you need some additional information, ADD to that thread. We like threads that are good reading and provide the complete answer. But try to limit the comments that seem encouraging, but just eat up bandwidth and the members' attention span. Both are limited in the universe.

Third, starting a new thread is fine, IF you can't find a related thread. But make sure it gets started in the appropriate Forum.

Fourth, asking unrelated questions in the same thread is going to get you sent to Forum hell. Sure, build a thread about your build. Post photos. We'd love to hear about your project. Other than that, specific questions should always be the related Forum. For clarity, questions about brakes are NOT appropriate in a thread about suspensions. I went to a LOT of trouble to organize this Forum following the index in the 1973 Opel Factory Service Manual. Humour me. And my Canadian nee British spelling quirks.

Last, watch this video. When Gary and I set out to make this Forum the best car Forum in the universe (see what I did there?), I used this as an inspiration.

Oh, one more thing. If you are doing as much work on your Opel as it appears, BUY A FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL. Lots are always on eBay, usually around $50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hbd1oGFl7sE

1 - 15 of 15 Posts