Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,141 Posts
Anything synthetic would be good. Redline, Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple, etc.

Bob

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Diff. fluid

I'm getting ready to change the rear diff. fluid and cover. ( blk. alum. finned w/drain plug) I have some Lucas syn. gear oil 75/90. I noticed the steel stock cover has a drain plug in it, have not seen this before, is this an add on, or stock. just curious, will know fore sure later tonight. Thanks

3,721 Posts
I am adding Power Up oil additive for the last two years. I found differential much quieter after adding that additive.

Friend of mine is using it in his highway trucks and farm equipment. He said that number of differential and transmission breakdowns have dramatically decreased since he started using Power Up. I figured out - it can't do any harm to try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irb6JsoyPko

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
P.J. who makes the Power up Gear Oil ? easy enough to add. I also installed the new diff. cover from Germany, ( finned) only about 1/4 in. or less clearance, between the cover and the pan hard rod, had to take it loose to install :yup: Also installed the new Bosal resonator w/ blk. tips.

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,470 Posts
P.J. who makes the Power up Gear Oil ? easy enough to add. I also installed the new diff. cover from Germany, ( finned) only about 1/4 in. or less clearance, between the cover and the pan hard rod, had to take it loose to install :yup: Also installed the new Bosal resonator w/ blk. tips.
Brad-
Please turn those concrete blocks and put a board on them!

·
Super Moderator
6,024 Posts
Brad-
Please turn those concrete blocks and put a board on them!
Brad, this is for education purposes, not to tell you what to do now. Concrete "cinder" blocks used to lift cars have killed and injured a number of folks. They are very weak when on their side like that (holes should always be facing up, not sideways) and are VERY susceptible to breaking unless the load is spread out over the entire top with a 2x10. NEVER allow a single point load on any concrete block, even a solid one, as they will split and fail.

While Opel GT's are pretty light at 2200 lbs., they will still hurt you badly and might kill you, if not quickly :ugh:, if they fall on you, so NEVER get under even a light Opel unless you have proper blocks in place.

JM2CW

Reactions: Crazy Harry

·
Super Moderator
8,242 Posts
Brad, this is for education purposes, not to tell you what to do now. Concrete "cinder" blocks used to lift cars have killed and injured a number of folks. NEVER allow a single point load on any concrete block, even a solid one, as they will split and fail.

JM2CW
And mine as well. I had some students working outside my school shop on a small farming implement. They grabbed the nearest thing, a concrete block to keep the tongue of the implement off the ground. They broke about three before I realized what they where doing. A teachable moment to NEVER use them under a vehicle.

Harold

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Sorry guy's, next time I will get my 8x8x12 wood blocks I made, not a fan of the floor stands ( yes I have 4 HD ) but the garage floor is very un even and I use the oak blocks in the rear w/ 2x4's or 4x4, a lot more stable, the front I use the stands, + a block in the middle. Now if someone wants to donate a lift, :yup: I will build a new garage for it :yup::yup: P.S. those blocks are from the old days, when they were made good and thick, not like a modern block, thin, most have only 1 slot, these have 2, & made 1 1/2 " thick :yup:

·
Can Opeler
3,683 Posts
My rear diff just started leaking a little fluid after driving. I know there is a little filler bolt thing and I think the level of fluid is supposed be level with the bolt hole. Am I right? So if it's low I just need to get a funnel and put some synthetic motor oil in it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

3,721 Posts
My rear diff just started leaking a little fluid after driving. I know there is a little filler bolt thing and I think the level of fluid is supposed be level with the bolt hole. Am I right?
Yes.

So if it's low I just need to get a funnel and put some synthetic motor oil in it?
NO! You must use synthetic 80W-90 GEAR oil.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts