Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone once again!!!

I am thinking of adding fog lights to my Ascona.

About the front units, I have found a nice pair made by "Hella" and so far so good. My concern is the rear unit. I don't want to add another unit back there, as I won't like the aesthetic appearance. So I am thinking of using the left brake light as a fog light, since it is the same wattage (21W), and many new cars use the rear left brake light as a fog light. And here comes the tricky part in modifying the cabling...

I am thinking of installing a new cable to the rear-left light cluster that will carry 12V from the fusebox via a relay, and with a switch on the dash I will be able to turn on/off (the relay). But if I splice this cable in the car's harness on the cluster, at the bulb's 21W feed (the car has a single lamp for brake and position lights), when I turn the switch on both rear brake lights will be lit, cause they are both fed from the same cable and it will appear as I am stepping on the brakes continously...

So here I come to the critical point:
Will adding a proper diode in the cable between the two clusters, to serve a a one-way valve, solve this? So the 12v of the switch will reach the rear left cluster, but the diode will not allow the current to reach the rear right cluster... At the same time, when I step on the brake the rear right bulb will light, and the other will be already lit... Does it sound good?

In addition, I have though a drawback in this. Do you think the cluster will be able to handle the heat of the continously lit bulb (only when used of course...)? It is open towards the inside of the trunk so ventilation is provided, but I wouldn't want to risk melting the plastic lens...

Thanks in advance!

·
Manta Maniac
1,385 Posts
Hmmm...
Why not get a spare cluster and modify the reversing lens by making it red?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
i thought the 78 ascona would have a fog light as from new ? im sure they did here why not look in to it and see if you can pick 1 up an e bay :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts