Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,537 Posts
Is there anything to gain? As far as I know, no lsd, diisc brakes. Any gearing? Just wondering... cant imagine parts would be easier to obtain other than maybe wheel bearings?

·
Opelicious
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there anything to gain? As far as I know, no lsd, diisc brakes. Any gearing? Just wondering... cant imagine parts would be easier to obtain other than maybe wheel bearings?
If it would bolt in it would be better than what I've got in there now. The mounts on the one I've got now look like they were welded on by a third-grader.

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,537 Posts
Can you take a picture? I'm sure one of us could make a suggestion.... not all hope is lost..

·
Opelicious
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you take a picture? I'm sure one of us could make a suggestion.... not all hope is lost..
I haven't seen it in person yet, a buddy of mine spotted the 'vette at a local yard. He said it looked like the Opel rear with the panhard rod and such. I just didn't make it over there today. I might try to run over and take a look at it tomorrow.

And I agree, it doesn't gain anything other than to replace the travesty that is under the car now. Ultimately, I would love to narrow a 10bolt out of an f-body. Plenty durable for such a small car, easy and relatively cheap posi units, disk brakes, and then I can swap to 5 lug wheels. Just have to figure out how I want to get 5 lugs on the front then.

thanks!

-jt

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
I know circle track guys that used to bolt Chevette rear ends into their Opel GT race cars. Sure, they are weaker, have smaller brakes, smaller axles, etc.

But, the real reason they did it was for gearing options. 3.73 and 4.11 ratios were available in the Chevettes. And they are very close to being a bolt in, as they are essentially a Kadett C chassis.

·
Opelicious
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm actually guessing it might be a chevette rear under the car now. I suppose I could go look the 'vette.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,082 Posts
We are both in Georgia. How far away are you from Newnan 30263? I fix your welds on your original axle. I weld almost anything, but shifter sticks :sigh:

Dieter

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
I know circle track guys that used to bolt Chevette rear ends into their Opel GT race cars. Sure, they are weaker, have smaller brakes, smaller axles, etc.

But, the real reason they did it was for gearing options. 3.73 and 4.11 ratios were available in the Chevettes. And they are very close to being a bolt in, as they are essentially a Kadett C chassis.
I sold a GT 1.1 rear diff. to a guy for a Chevette race class as they were having difficulty finding the gear they wanted. Probably had more to do with cost than availability. :D IIRC, I think they had to switch sides with the panhard bar but everything else I believe was bolt in.

Harold

P.S. I have a GT parts car with what I believe is a Chevette rear under it. Looks to be even 'lighter' duty than ours'.

·
Opelicious
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FWIW I'm not really concerned about the welds coming loose, its just the overall crappy job done. For instance the right shock mount is welded wrong enough that it it hits the panhard rod mount. I could fix it, just bugs me that its wrong to begin with.

I'm on Fort Gordon, just outside of Augusta.

-jt

·
Opelicious
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't take any pics, but I can say the 'vette rear looks like it would bolt right in with the exception of the PHR mount being on the wrong side. It actually appears to look more like the original rear than the one under it now.

I'll probably just put some fresh oil in the one in there, shorten the goobered shock bolt and see how noisy it is. If it is still unbearable I'll look at other options.

Thanks all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts