Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there-

My 1973 opel gt brakes are fine EXCEPT... The rub is that either the left or right rear drums lock up when I press the brakes. But it's only initially (ie, the first and maybe second time I hit the brakes). After things are "warmed up" it doesn't happen. Wondering if its the calipers? Everything on the brakes themselves -- the shoes, etc -- check out fine and again, other than this "first" time, the brakes work fine and the problem doesn't occur again, even if I drive the car for a while and leave it parked for a while before starting it up again.

Thanks!
Sean

·
Über Genius
8,826 Posts
Hi there-

My 1973 opel gt brakes are fine EXCEPT... The rub is that either the left or right rear drums lock up when I press the brakes. But it's only initially (ie, the first and maybe second time I hit the brakes). After things are "warmed up" it doesn't happen. Wondering if its the calipers? Everything on the brakes themselves -- the shoes, etc -- check out fine and again, other than this "first" time, the brakes work fine and the problem doesn't occur again, even if I drive the car for a while and leave it parked for a while before starting it up again.

Thanks!
Sean
I'm not quite understanding the problem.

Having said that, the rear brakes are drum brakes and have wheel cylinders and not calipers, unless someone has made a change to yours.

Now, if you set the emergency brake and then release it a few days later, and the brakes stick, then the problem is obvious. The shoes are sticking to the drum. In that case the best solution is to replace the shoes and the wheel cylinders and clean (or turn) the drums exceptionally well.

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Hi there-

My 1973 opel gt brakes are fine EXCEPT... The rub is that either the left or right rear drums lock up when I press the brakes. But it's only initially,,, even if I drive the car for a while and leave it parked for a while before starting it up again.
Yeah after sitting for a few months the brakes can get a little "rusty".

Don't worry spring is almost here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts