Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Opeler
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These things are such a pain to get the top nuts on when your hands are big enough to palm a basketball yet can't get a 7 mm nut on the top bracket stud. I have found a solution though, after spending an hour the other day to get the top nut on one light and losing count of the number of times I dropped it, if you have a few extra nuts from the dash that hold the gauges to the panel those work great because the are longer and have ridges to hold it. Didn't even drop it once, when I did the other side today.:biggthump

·
Opeler
3,031 Posts
I thought of using wing nuts (like on a old style air cleaner) instead of the stock metric nuts to attach rear marker lights to the GT body.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I was able to actually attach the top mount and put the nut on a few turns, pivot the bracket and then install the light. Getting them in and tightened is definitely a patience building task. Nice tip on the dash gauge nuts...good to know.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I too, found that I could start the top nut and then weasel the bracket in the hole. Once it's in it's a little easier to start the bottom nut. I saw a slick trick that an old timer electrician used to start small nuts without dropping them. He puts a piece of electrical tape over the nut driver that fits the nut and then forces the nut into the socket. The added thickness holds the nut in place, but doesn't keep it from being able to be pull out of the socket.

·
Super Moderator
8,172 Posts
He puts a piece of electrical tape over the nut driver that fits the nut and then forces the nut into the socket. The added thickness holds the nut in place, but doesn't keep it from being able to be pull out of the socket.
Ever seen the short magnetic extensions that can be inserted into the rear of sockets. I need to buy a set sometime. :)

Harold

·
Registered
72 Posts
Check out Apex Tools. They make a lot of the sockets that auto plants use to assemble these componets. They sell magnetic sockets in various drives, deep or shallow, SAE or metric. Usually sold through an Industrial Distributor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts