Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
self admitted opel addict
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do spoilers usually have a gasket of some sort that goes between it and the car? I have a USED lenk rear spoiler...and have never installed one before. Simple bolt on but need to know if it requires a gasket or something else? Looks like this one has some old sealant or something stuck on it.... Suggestions for proper installation??????

·
433 Posts
Sorry I don't have an answer. I'm piggybacking my own question about fender flares. I've seen pictures of flares on cars that are not molded onto the fenders. Do these sit on a rubber "gasket" to prevent rubbing paint off of the fender?

·
70's Opeler, back 4 more!
398 Posts
I've got a Lenk Spoiler on mine and there is no gasket.

It was installed when I purchased the GT, but I'm thinking of making one anyway to help seal the holes and improve the look where it is connected to the car.

·
self admitted opel addict
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any ideas as to what you plan to use for a gasket yet? are you thinking rubber or sealant? Mine is not on the car so I don't know how much of a gap will actually exist.

·
boomerang opeler
5,618 Posts
any part that goes on to the body should have some form of gasket so rain water can not get to the bolts /screws/clips or what ever holds them on

if you have to use clear silicon sealant but use some thing or you will get rust no mater how good a fit ( water loves capilery action and will soak in if its not sealed) if the bolt/screw/or clip is in the wheel wells then seal the exposed area to stop anything getting in that way too

·
398 Posts
My spoiler has been on the car for 3 years that I know of. There was no rust under it. I will say that I was surprised to find no sealant of any kind under there.

From the records I have from the prior owner, the spoiler and paint job were done in late 1996.

I am looking at using black rubber cut to match the shape. It would be nice to find one with a lip around the edge to accent the joint, but I think a well cut and positioned piece would do nicely.

I will definitely agree that some kind of seal is needed to keep moisture out, especially in the wetter regions.

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
I just installed my LENK Spoiler yesterday, and there is about a 1/4-1/2 gap from the car to the spoiler. I was just thinking about putting some fiberglass from the spoiler to car, to make it look like its all one thing. Having second thoughts now, but still not sure!

·
398 Posts
My guess is the gap is due to the different positioning on the rear deck.

Mine looked like there was filler on the spoiler bottom mating surface. It looks like the PO put bondo on the bottom of the spoiler, then clear plastic food wrap and then mounted it on the car. This would get rid of any gaps and make the spoiler look closer to original formed. You would just have to sand off the bondo that squeezes out.

I pulled mine about 2 months ago to install a third brake light. My problem is, now the weather has turned so cold that it is very hard to get the fiberglass and bondo to set in any time. Not to mention the discomfort of working in an unheated garage.

·
boomerang opeler
5,618 Posts
remember that all polyester fillers are porose and if not sealed will hold water and cause rust :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts