Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this was interesting. Kadette rear sway bar on a GT using all factory hardware.

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
record holding kadette bar

i dont know what i am seeing dave. do you mean they flipped a kadette bar?

are there no end links?

here is my record holding kadette bar, it is my proudest part on my gt(next to the twins)..
it came off stephens kadette he parted out...511,000 miles when I got it...now the bar has about 520,000 miles on it.

bar looks thicker than a 1/2 inch kadette

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Another Mystery!

Dave, That is a completely different way of mounting a rear sway bar - it may explain why using the "conventional" mounting method like Dean has used sometimes results in the loop of the swaybar hitting the body above the diff. It may well be that GT rear sway bars are supposed to be mounted "upside-down" with the lever-arms attached to the body and the rest of the bar riding piggyback on the diff as your pictures show .....

"Curiouser and curiouser" said Alice!

The bolt on brackets I mentioned are for "conventional" mounting and look like these attached pics:

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The end links are large pads bolted in with a riser and stud on them. Not too long ago somebody was looking to identify some of the pieces from this type setup and it was determined they were in fact Opel parts. I had never seen one like it, I was guessing that it was a Kadette bar being used. From the apparent age of it I have to wonder if at some point there was a factory add on bar.

·
1,973 Posts
What would the actual weld on bracket for the axel look like? I can't imagine it would be too difficult to make, I couldn't justify spending $60 for 2 brackets that very well may be just a piece of steel channel.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Cheap!

jordan said:
What would the actual weld on bracket for the axel look like? I can't imagine it would be too difficult to make, I couldn't justify spending $60 for 2 brackets that very well may be just a piece of steel channel.
Two 3" lengths of 2" X 5/16" flat bar and two bits of 1" waterpipe - WELD! ;)

·
1,973 Posts
the 1" water pipe would follow and attach to the radius of the axel?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jordan, which bar are you planning to install? Only the OGTS bar requires welding. The tube is for the bushings and the plate would be radiused to weld to the axle.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Nope!

jordan said:
the 1" water pipe would follow and attach to the radius of the axel?
The 1" waterpipe would be welded at right angles on the outer end for the rubber bushes to fit into - the other end of flat bar would be cut to the radius of the axle housing and welded on.

Sort of: o=( with the flat of the bar vertical for strength.

·
1,973 Posts
Are the rear swaybar mounts identical or are the respective sides mirror image to the other?

·
Super Moderator
5,924 Posts
Here are a set of bolt-ons that recently sold on eBay. They look identical right to left, but maybe they are actually two of the same side (seems that they should be asymmetrical)

Attachments

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking at the ones on Liz's 69 the pieces were all identical side to side. After seeing those with Opel stickers just thickens the plot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm gonna confirm that they're the same side to side. After looking at them i decided it wasn't even worth cutting the brackets off of the kadett axle to weld onto my GT. I just made my own with 1" pipe and angle iron a welder drill and grinder.

·
1,973 Posts
Now how do I adjust the pitch or angle of the bracket around the circumference of the axel tube so I can weld them on in the correct position, how crucial is it that I get the angle right if at all?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jordan that looks like an OGTS bar. When I did mine I put the bar in first then welded the brackets. For a welded bracket the height relationship body to axle can put the bar in a bind if not centered.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Bolt on Brackets

The bolt-on brackets recently sold on eBay had Part # 444425 on them and this is listed inthe Opel and GT Parts Book (July, 1974) as for use on 68-70 Kadetts and 71-73 Models 31 - 36
There is no "other handed" one listed but in the number used per car is the quantity of "1"
Has anyone got an earlier parts book - As I have a sneaking suspicion that there was initially a left and right handed one but the "bean-counters" realised that the same one could be used for both sides and the other handed one has been deleted in the 1974 catalogue.
Another "Opel" mystery!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,924 Posts
GTJIM said:
The bolt-on brackets recently sold on eBay had Part # 444425 on them and this is listed in the Opel and GT Parts Book (July, 1974) as for use on 68-70 Kadetts and 71-73 Models 31 - 36
There is no "other handed" one listed but in the number used per car is the quantity of "1"
Has anyone got an earlier parts book - As I have a sneaking suspicion that there was initially a left and right handed one but the "bean-counters" realized that the same one could be used for both sides and the other handed one has been deleted in the 1974 catalogue.
Another "Opel" mystery!
And I am a bit suspicious by the fact there is some kind of "bolt bracket" on one side of both of the brackets. Seldom do you find something so obviously uni-dexterous being used in an ambidextrous application.

·
1,973 Posts
I am about to weld on the rear brackets and the way that they line up puts them at a pretty extreme downward angle 30º to be exact (depending apon which way you look at it.) The hole in the bracket is just below the axel tube as illistrated in the instruction diagram. Is this right? or should they me a little more level?

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jordan, again, could you enlighten us as to what type of swaybar you are using?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts