Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Opeler
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never removed the gas tank from my car and have a question about the vent above the rear window....I assume that it connects to the pipes on either side and go under the tank. I haven't seen any info on this part of the car...is it to suck any fumes from under the tank as the car is going down the road ??????.

Steve

· Registered
6,344 Posts
Steve, those rear vents are part of the flow through ventilation system. Actually the air comes in from the vents in the dash, kick panels or heater/defroster ducts and flows back behind the seat and out by the rear quarter window gaps. The hoses from each side of the vent are to drain water if any accumulates in the floor of the rear vent. The end of the hoses, under the car have duckbill valves on them that open and drain the water in the hose. HTH.

354 Posts
Crusher said:
Ok...Thanks, I thought they came from the vent above the rear window. Steve
You're right, hoses do come from there... & drain h2o out. There's a void behind that cabin exhaust vent that could pocket moisture if hoses are plugged. If hoses are missing or not exiting body, then that moisture will collect inside body, underneath the tank. HTH

-Dan

· Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
The Duckbill rubbers are a very important part of the system as they seal the ends of the drain tubes to stop exhaust fumes etc. getting back into the ventilation system while, at the same time, allowing any moisture that drains down to them to be "sucked" out by the passing airstream. Just another ingenious Opel feature!

· Registered
6,344 Posts
It is a neat item Jim, there's a pair of those, only larger, that vents my fresh water tanks in the motorhome. I just fill the tanks from a single point on the rig and the tanks fill up, when they're full the water just dumps out those duckbill valves. Makes sure I've got full tanks of fresh water that way. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.