Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rearend

hey i have a ?my rearend is making some wierd noises when i take off its sounds like the rearend is trying to cetch up cuzz it clanks and when i turn right it sounds like it is binding up i have looked at thr rearend but i dont know to much about gts i bought the bushing kit for the rearend and i took the wheels off and when i grab the wheel studs and turn the rearend its has some play befor the rearend starts going any ideas on what it mite be it would be great if you dont under stand what im talking about i understand cuzz i lost to thanx for the help

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know absolutly nothing about ople rear ends... but...
sounds like it may be that the spider gears are bad. Is it a rather loud noise, kinda like a snaping noise? u can almost feel in the car? The spider gears usually have thrust washers on the outside of them, they wear away, and the spider gears spread apart, and start to round off the teeth on them. I've seen this in a few cars. Might not be it, but a possibility.
Best thing to do, is pull the rear end cover off, and see what things look like. The spider gears are a set of 4 gears in the center of the carrier. Even if you find nothing wrong in the rear end, the fluid change was probablly worth the effort.

·
Opeler
53 Posts
Maybe it is the driveshaft. There is some sort of carrier bearing that flops around, or so I am told. Since mine is doing the same thing, I will know more about it later. It happens only on initial acceleration and, rarely, with hard upshifts into second at least on the FrankenOpel.

Bill and the FrankenOpel
Parts for the GT are no problem - it's getting them to fit. . .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i emailed opel gt source and they said it could be the torq tube or the bushings around it does that sound posible to any body thanx for the help

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
That could very well be what it is, try the "rope" trick to see if it lessens the problem.
Basicly you get some rope and you run it in and out of the rubber torq tube to reinforce it so that it cannot move around.
I doubt that there is any problems with the gears in the rear end, they should last a long time. I did have a bearing go bad, where the driveshaft connects to the "pumpkin", but it only made noise when you let off the gass.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts