Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· What's a Nopel?
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reasonable Pricing for Repair Work

Hi All,
My 4 speed 72 GT gearbox has a small leak so I'm planning to change out the following:

FRONT Cup SEAL
REAR SEAL - 4 speed rear to drive shaft
Left & Right SHIFTER SEALS
GASKET - 4 speed front
GASKET - 4 speed pan
GASKET - 4 speed rear
1.9L SPEEDO DRIVE O-RING OUTER SEAL
1.9L SPEEDO DRIVE INNER CUP SEAL

I'm also planning on having the differential oil changed at the same time.

Anyone have any thoughts on how much it might cost to have this work done rather than doing myself?

Thanks for any input you might have.

Marc

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
Hey Marc;

I handed this to a transmission place back in '88 and paid about $100.00. I handed them the transmission and the parts so this was labor only. This did not include the trans to bell housing gasket.

Diff Oil, just remove the bottom bolt on the pumpkin and it should drain out. Refill with new oil until the oil comes out of the fill plug. It is easy if you have the car on jack stands with the rear end hanging down. If you can remove the rear muffler and over the axle pipe, it is even easier.

HTH.

Jeff

· Über Moderator
6,668 Posts
Marc said:
Hi All,
My 4 speed 72 GT gearbox has a small leak so I'm planning to change out the following:
FRONT Cup SEAL
REAR SEAL - 4 speed rear to drive shaft
Left & Right SHIFTER SEALS
GASKET - 4 speed front
GASKET - 4 speed pan
GASKET - 4 speed rear
1.9L SPEEDO DRIVE O-RING OUTER SEAL
1.9L SPEEDO DRIVE INNER CUP SEAL
I'm also planning on having the differential oil changed at the same time.
Anyone have any thoughts on how much it might cost to have this work done rather than doing myself?
Thanks for any input you might have.
Marc
The Rear Seal is easy and cheap. Just remove the drive shaft and pop the old seal out, and the new one in. The pan gasket is also easy, as are the speedo seals. A shop might charge an hour, no more than two, for all that (shop costs vary widely, from $40 to 100/hr).

But the rest of the seals and gaskets require the tranny be removed, and totally disassembled. Well, the front seal and gasket just requires removal, and the shift seals can be changed out with the tranny in place by following OGT's instruction on cutting off the linkage arm. But the others will be MUCH more $$. You can count on another 2 to 4 hours at least, IF they will even take on the job. Many tranny shops will not even disassemble an Opel Tranny (maybe if you have a FSM to show them) :(

HTH

· Member 1000 Post Club
1,521 Posts
If the tranny isn't leaking at the tail shaft to housing, they why replace the gasket?

I had a 5/32 punch and it was sufficient to drive out the roll pins that hold the shifter forks and etc.... Which allowed the shifter shaft to be removed in order the replace the shifter shaft seals.

I agree several seals and gaskets can be replaced without tearing everything apart: obviously front seal and gasket; rear seal, left side shifter shaft seal and pan gasket. That leaves the right hand side (pass) shifter shaft seal.

That should get most of the leaks without tearing up the tranny.

Oh yea, pull the speedo gear and put a new O-ring on it.

· Senior Contributor
695 Posts
jlthunder said:
Hey Marc;

Diff Oil, just remove the bottom bolt on the pumpkin and it should drain out. Refill with new oil until the oil comes out of the fill plug. It is easy if you have the car on jack stands with the rear end hanging down.

Jeff
When you refill the rearend make sure the car is on the ground on all four tires or that if on jack stands the REAREND IS SUPPORTED on the stands with the front stands adjusted so the car is LEVEL or you won't get the correct level or amount of fluid in the rear end. The rear end should not be hanging down to fill it the result will be not enough fluid.
rk

· What's a Nopel?
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For everything else there's...

Thanks for the input.

Here's what I was quoted:

Replace all Seals & Gaskets: $185

Gear Box Oil: $15

Drain, clean & refill differential: $30

Having a non-leaking, preventive maintenanced 1972 Opel GT: Priceless!

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
Killer Texas GT said:
When you refill the rearend make sure the car is on the ground on all four tires or that if on jack stands the REAREND IS SUPPORTED on the stands with the front stands adjusted so the car is LEVEL or you won't get the correct level or amount of fluid in the rear end. The rear end should not be hanging down to fill it the result will be not enough fluid.
rk
You are correct. I should of stated to check the diff oil on a level surface and top off if necc. My bad

Jeff

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
Hey Marc;

While you are back there, replace the pinion seal on the rear end. You have to remove the torque tube to get to it but it is worth it. I had a rear axle lock up due to a leaking pinion seal.

What condition is the torque tube donut, supporting mounts and transmission mount? If you are removing any of the above, you may as well replace them if they are original. Just my 0.02.

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.