Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently repainted my '70 Opel GT and am looking for some guidance to get the bucket assemblies back in place. Does anybody have any pictures or diagrams that explain the process from A-Z? I need to know what order everything is reassembled in.
Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
9,722 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply. I found that diagram in the forum, but I need to know step by step how everything gets reinstalled back in the body.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link. I will look through here and see if I can figure it out. Luckily my rotating mechanisms are still in working condition.

·
Opeler
814 Posts
Whatever you do, mask the front edge of the bucket hole, to protect your new paint against damage from the install.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Headlight Housing Installation

I can give you some suggestions as I had to bang my head a few times :banghead: recently when putting mine back together after rewiring. Make sure you refer to the previous link:http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/oana/tech/Headl.pdf
for examples of the figures I refer to. Figures 4 and 6 must NOT be attached to the headlight bucket when you situate the headlight housing into the body!

1. Be sure to clean and relube the lower rotator cuff (fig 4.). Slide this piece onto the rotator pin that is attached to the body of the car.

2. Be sure that the bracket (fig 5.) IS already bolted to the headlight housing. The bracket in (fig 5.) is NOT :banghead: the way to manipulate the headlight housing into the body!

3. There are three bolts (fig 6.) that hold the rotator assembly to the bracket in (fig 5.) THIS is how you manipulate the headlight housing into the body, with the three bolts out.

4. Before going any further be sure to tape up the edges of the headlight bucket and the headlight housing with tape.... If you do not, you WILL scratch and chip your paint!

5. Once you have the lower rotator cuff (fig. 4) in place, the taping of the body and headlight housing is done, and the three bolts and nuts to (fig. 6) are placed nearby, carefully slide and manipulate the headlight housing into the body. I would suggest sliding the TOP of the headlight housing BACK into the body and then lowering the bottom of the headlight housing into the front of the body.

6. At this point you can reattach and lightly tighten the two bolts that hold the rotator cuff (fig.4) in place.

7. Be sure to pull the headlight wiring through the center of the bracket (fig. 6) and reattach that bracket using the OUTER 2 bolts and holes to the bracket in (fig.5). You can tighten these two bolts at this time.

8. Now comes the difficult part, you must reattach the bracket in (fig. 6) with it's 3 bolts to the 3 holes in the rotator mechanism that is attached to the body. The problem is that there is limited space in this area. Be careful not to overtighten yet.

9. Once you have the 3 bolts (fig. 6) and the 2 bolts (fig.4) in place check to see that you have equal clearance between the BODY of the car and the Headlight Housing. If you need to adjust the healight housing forward or backward the bolt in the CENTER of (fig. 4) rotator cuff will do that for you.

When you think you have everything lined up, test your headlight housing movement either by rolling them by hand and/or with the lever in the car. Once you are pleased with the alignment, then tighten the 3 bolts in (fig. 6) and the two outer bolts in (fig.4).

Anyone feel free to add info, and forgive me if I forget something.

Neil

·
Senior Contributor
5,035 Posts
Start with the bolt in the bottom pivot (cuff) backed out all the way. This will give you the most room to slide the bucket into place. I did it the other way around and put the bottom of the bucket in first on then dropped it in at the top. I had the advantage of having a junk car and junk buckets to practice with. If you get the bucket at the proper angle and rotation it will actually drop in without touching the body at all. The rotation position for installation is just off 90 degrees. I guess I should have done a video of the install. I never considered it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mission completed

:)Thanks for everybody's input. I got both buckets in today with no damage to the new paint job. The first one was tough, but the second one went in real easy. Thanks again.

·
Opeler
399 Posts
headlight buckets and lights

Hi,
Just one question..maybe two
Could someone post a picture of the screws that hold the actual lightbulb in the bucket
I think they have a spring of some sort so one can adjust the light beam
If you know what screws to use , could you please tell me what they are, part number or some info so I can go and buy them

thank you

·
Senior Contributor
5,035 Posts
Hi,
Just one question..maybe two
Could someone post a picture of the screws that hold the actual lightbulb in the bucket
I think they have a spring of some sort so one can adjust the light beam
If you know what screws to use , could you please tell me what they are, part number or some info so I can go and buy them

thank you
It's not just the screws it is the headlight retaining assembly that actually has the adjustment mechanism in it. The mechanism is held into the headlight bucket with 3 or 4 (I don't remember) sheet metal type screws that go into the sheet metal that is the bucket.........clear as mud I am sure.

Attachments

·
Opeler
399 Posts
headlight assembly pics

Thanks for the input
Anybody else oouthere that has some good pics of the headlight /bulb adjustment assembly?
thanks

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
GT head light adjustment springs

It's not just the screws it is the headlight retaining assembly that actually has the adjustment mechanism in it. The mechanism is held into the headlight bucket with 3 or 4 (I don't remember) sheet metal type screws that go into the sheet metal that is the bucket.........clear as mud I am sure.
I have three sets of lights and on the bottom back side of the adjusting mechanism there is a place for two springs. But on all three sets of mine there is only one spring.

Question... Is one spring correct or should there be two?

I was hoping to get Marks pic. in the quote, if you look up a few post you can just barely see the arms sticking out behind the bulb that the springs mount on.

·
Senior Contributor
5,035 Posts
I have three sets of lights and on the bottom back side of the adjusting mechanism there is a place for two springs. But on all three sets of mine there is only one spring.

Question... Is one spring correct or should there be two?

I was hoping to get Marks pic. in the quote, if you look up a few post you can just barely see the arms sticking out behind the bulb that the springs mount on.

Try these for explanation

Attachments

·
Senior Contributor
5,035 Posts
I'm looking for a complete set of the actuator assembly, dou you still have the ones from the parts car?
Juan,
I would have to do some digging and checking. I might have a few kicking around but I am also inclined to keep a good one as a spare. All my stuff is behind a huge mound of snow in storage, so it will be a while before I can give you an answer.

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
See if this picture comes up. Sorry Mark, I'm talking about the head light aiming mechanism, with the two adjusting screws for up down left right. there is a spring on the bottom to pull the head light back, there is a place for two springs but all mine only have one spring.

Is it a strange coincident that one spring broke off all three sets of mine or is one spring correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
My 71 headlight adjusting rings also only have one spring each. I'm able to aim them OK with just the one spring.

·
Senior Contributor
5,035 Posts
If the left lite has the spring on one side and the right lite has the spring on the other then they just made the part symmetrical so that they didn't have to make two different parts. Other than that I dunno, except that IIRC my car also has only one spring in each.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts