Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just picked up a 73 OPEL GT. so i'm really new in this opel tuning up thing. the bottom end on this opel is F*ked! so my first assignment of restoring the car is make it run. me and my best friend were debating on what to do. we trying to see what are our alternatives.

option 1 : we are thinking of rebuilding the whole engine with all racing internals ?

or

option 2 :Engine swap.. what are some of more popular engine swap on these opel gts ?

option 3 : we want a 5-speed transmission, if not too hard to swap.

WE ARE GOING TO TURBO it FOR SURE. just dont know which way to go ?

the person we brought it from said Buick 3.8 turbo is the best way and the fairly easy way to make it FAST. True ?

if any opel gt expert can give us their opinion or advise we'll thank you ALOT

thanks

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
Welcome to the world of Opels! I removed your duplicate posts. One thread is usually enough to get your answer.

Check out the engine swap forum and the performance forums. There is a lot of info on turbos and engine swaps there. This site has a powerful search engine that will pick out your keywords from the 55,000 posts on our server.

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
Welcome from the OGT.com Moderating Team. As Gary has mentioned, we really discourage duplicate threads. We also STRONGLY encourage that questions be SEARCHED for relevant threads before a new thread is started.

And when a question is kind of general, or has a time-limit (such as an article for sale on eBay), or doesn't really fit in one of the Forum headings, or has several questions in one post, we prefer that it be posted in the "Open Discussions" Forum (which is where I moved this thread unless it heads in a specific direction). This is a "catch all" Forum, and allows the Technical Forums to be reserved for specific topics, for less congestion during later searches.

And ESPECIALLY only post in the GT (or Manta/Kadett/1900/Ascona) Forum with questions or facts related to that particular model. But ONLY questions that aren't better asked in one of the Technical Forums. For example, a question such as "what is the wheelbase of a Kadett Wagon?" would go in the Kadett Forum. But a question such as "I have a heater core leak; how do I repair it?" would go in the Technical Forum under "Group 9 - Accessories - Radio, Heater, A/C, Sound Systems". If the leak were in the radiator, it would go in "6B - Cooling System" under the "Group 6 - Engine" Forum.

HTH and good luck in your search in the Engine Swap Forum under the Performance Forum.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
keith my head hurts after reading that :confused:

can we just go back to "do a search" or "how about you post it the right place" :D
it was simpler then before we started to be nice to folks :D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Ok, now that we made the new guy feel bad about posting twice, in the wrong forum and not usinging the search engine I think we can let him in on some of our collective wisdom.

1. Where in Oregon do you live?
There are a great deal of current Opel owners that live in Oregon, Washington and Northern California that could help you out on parts and ideas and face to face know how. Some of them maybe willing to give (or sell at a reasonble price) in 1.9 engine that runs (or will run with a little TLC).
2. I would recomend not doing any enging swap (at this point in time) get the 1.9 engine running first so that you can enjoy driving a GT around
3. Read and learn as much as you can about the Opel GT as far as restoring, electical, braking.
4. Meet some Opel owners (Face to Face) and talk to them and learn what they did right and what they did wrong.

And do some looking around some of the various posting around here you will learn a whole lot just by watching what we are doing or did.

Plus have fun with it

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
benncojr said:
Ok, now that we made the new guy feel bad about posting twice, in the wrong forum and not using the search engine I think we can let him in on some of our collective wisdom.
Right you are Rick. Sorry, eqnotalent, you are just the latest new member to benefit from the guidance of the Moderator Team. Although, just this afternoon, there was a brand new member who not only posted his very first thread in the correct Forum, but it was even a new question, and therefore he seems to have determined by utilizing a SEARCH that it hadn't been asked before. Ah, maybe it was just beginners luck :D

There just doesn't seem to be a good way to tell new members AND remind the old folks that this Forum is better because it is organized. This makes it easier to search for specific answers, and to just browse casually (c'mon, I know many of you do that!). Maybe we need to have new members (and even less compliant old ones) take an entrance exam, or at least read that very funny, and a bit too relevant

OK, now back to scheduled programming

Sorry baz...I just wanted to mess with your head some more. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
5,922 Posts
eqnotalent said:
I just picked up a 73 OPEL GT. so I'm really new in this Opel tuning up thing. the bottom end on this Opel is F*ked! so my first assignment of restore the car is make it run. me and my best friend were debating on that to do. we trying to see what are our alternatives.
option 1 : we are thinking of rebuild the whole engine with all racing internals ?
option 2 :Engine swap.. what are some of more popular engine swap on these Opel GT's ?
option 3 : we want a 5 gear transmission if not too hard to swap.
WE ARE GOING TO TURBO it FOR SURE. just don't know which way to go ?
the person we brought it from said Buick 3.8 turbo is the best way and the fairly easy way to make it FAST. True ?
if any Opel gt expert can give us their opinion or advise will thank you A LOT
thanks
OK, now for what we are actually here to do.

Rebuild is good. "Racing Internals" is kind of vague, like a "three quarter race cam". Of which there is no such thing in real life. A rebuild can range from:

1) a simple re-condition: de-glaze the cylinders; new rings, gaskets, maybe a valve grind; all new gaskets and seals; maybe new bearings but only if badly worn. All the rest is re-used. This can give new life to an engine that has a bit of wear but was not abused. Usually only applies to cars that were driven on Sundays by little old ladies. Otto has a Kadett that this describes. In your engine, this might mean a crank re-grind or even a good used crank on top of the above. This description might cost $500 or so, if you do the mechanical work, and pay a decent machine shop for the tough stuff. But even money says you need at least oversize pistons, and probably a new cam and lifters. Read on...

2) a full on rebuild, and maybe a bit of performance added while you are at it: Hot tank the block and head; overbore it at least 20 or 30 thou, or even move up a size (80 thou or so) to get a full two litres; new pistons, preferably forged flat tops; a proper head job, including new hardened seat inserts, new guides, maybe a new valve or two; heck, increase the valve sizes to at least 2.0 specs, or even 1.88 SBC inlet valves with Pontiac springs etc; do a mild (but proper Opel-spec) port job on the head and chambers, including a light re-surface of the block and head (but not so much as to retard the cam timing); grind the crank, but only to get it straight and on-spec; line bore the block, and re-size the con rods; make sure that you have forged rods, not the heavier, weaker cast rods from '73 on; all new bearings including cam bearings; a new cam (maybe a bit more lift, but NOT 3/4 race!) and lifters; balance everything including the flywheel, & modify the flywheel to fit the Chev S-10 clutch and pressure plate; bigger carb (either a 32/36 DGAV or even a 38 DGAS Weber). There is always more, but already you are easily at 1 1/2 grand, and two happens without stretching. Three can be staring at your credit card before the next payment is due.

3) Go full race. OK, no such thing, but really go all out. All of the above, but also weld and stroke the crank to get 2.4 litres and also knife edge it; domed high compression custom pistons; high lift, long duration cam; REALLY big, really light valves; custom forged I-beam rods; lightened flywheel; crank scraper; roller rockers AND lifters (remember, this is full race!), twin side draft Weber DCOE's or even a Mega-Squirt EFI with full engine management. Cheap for Porsche, but you are at $10k and counting. And counting, and counting. And forget about bottom end torque, because life begins at 4000 rpm. But life is good...

Engine Swap A whole world of swaps out there. Everything from Genuine Opel European 2.4's (Factory) direct from OGTS, to Opel DOHC 16 V, to Jap fours, to Mazda rotaries, to Chev 2.8/3.1/3.4 60 degree V6's and Ford Euro 2.8 V6's, and even a Ford T-Bird turbo-2.3 four or two. I stop there. Some have tried, few have succeeded, with the 90 degree V6 such as the 3800, or even a Grand National Turbo 3.8. A few have done the Chevy small block, or even the Ford 302/351, but mainly as drag racers with full tube frames. You can read to your hearts content in our Engine Swap Forum. Just know that all it takes is time, talent and money. More of the latter if less of the former. And there are NO "kits" available to do any of these. Just time, talent and money. The bill starts at about three large, and goes up from there.

5 Speed Transmission No sweat. The stock Opel CIH (Cam In Head, memorize it, or face the wrath of the Opel folks) can be fitted with the later model, but only in Europe, Getrag 5-speed. Yes, there are a few other options, but not really. Read away in our Drive Train Upgrade Forum. Do it yourself can be done for under a grand. A complete kit from OGTS is only about $1200, plus installation. OK, "only" is a relative term.

TURBO it FOR SURE Well, probably not. The darn car only weighs 2000 pounds soaking wet. Even a decent 1.9 can put out 100 HP, which is quite a lot for so light a car. And the Performance options can give you 125 to 150 HP, which will beat most stock cars on the street today. More than 200 HP, and you need a full frame, and a really good defence attorney. The engine compartment barely won't fit a turbo even with the factory engine. Let alone some other beast.

OK, that about makes up for the lecture earlier. If you are keen, hard working, have talent and/or money (talent more than makes up for money, as Jared can testify), you can have a sweet, fast ride. But if you are are just a kid, and expect that you can "tune" a 35 year old German car like an Integra RSX, get another car. And I mean "kid" in the kindest terms, as several of our most respected, most prolific contributors, and steadfast Opel owners are under 18. And a few are "kids" at heart, but our drivers licenses say otherwise.

HTH and good luck

·
199 Posts
custom forged I-beam rods; lightened flywheel; crank scraper; roller rockers

keith whats a crank scraper

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Betta Carotene said:
keith whats a crank scraper
Oh I can answer that!!!

It is a pice of metal that goes into the oil pan that is the mirror image of the crank that splashes in to the oil. The metal reduces the amount of foam that is generated in the oil pan.

Right?

Here is a link to some http://www.crank-scrapers.com/

Keith you are great!! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts