Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my next incoming crates I will have 3 Rebuilt 5 speeds available.

All new seals, syncros, and the blue speedo gear

Cost is : $2950 and You pay shipping from Virginia. But not from Europe.

What you get is what you see..

Call me at 1-804-503-0249 or email: [email protected]

·
7,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The nursery all my Transmissions come from.. Jef Boites workshop in Belgium.

Because they are all like new once they get here.

Shelf Automotive design Building Automotive tire Plant Shelf Product Shelving Retail Machine Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread Wheel Motor vehicle Shelving Shelf Wood Shipping box Table Workbench Machine tool Drill presses Engineering Engineering Machine Automotive design Gas Auto part Automotive tire Shelf Shelving Automotive design Retail

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
Charles
Just out of curiosity, what about trading a good working 5 spd for a rebuilt...or possibly getting it rebuilt?

·
7,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I would talk to Gil about that he has a guy in California. Last time the rebuild costs were about $1900 and that didn't include shipping, and I had to get some of the parts for them.

It was such a hassle, to arrange the rebuilds, ship the transmissions, help source parts and then have them shipped back to me for shipping to the customers that is why I now have them rebuilt. Fortunately when that batch were being rebuilt, I came to be in touch with JefBoite

That is why I now no longer sell Used transmissions that will undoubtedly need to be rebuilt and instead save all the costs of shipping, and finding parts, etc.. and have them rebuilt before they even get shipped.

He has the know how, and the parts to do the job, and in the end its cheaper than bringing over 30 year old transmissions of unknown mileage and condition, that in the end will need rebuilding anyway.

The price of the cores in Europe is less than the cost for me to ship yours to him to rebuild, and we have been collecting cores the last year or so and have plenty of cores. My concern is we will run out of parts to rebuild them. Which is why I believe the price of cores has come down.

Reactions: Autoholic

·
Über Genius
9,460 Posts
For anyone considering these but think the price is high, consider the price of a transmission in any modern car. A rebuilt tranny that bolts to your CIH is well worth the price.
Use a few of your covid bucks and get yourself something nice.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,609 Posts
For anyone considering these but think the price is high, consider the price of a transmission in any modern car. A rebuilt tranny that bolts to your CIH is well worth the price.
I would agree with that. Unless you already plan to swap the engine with something else, a Getrag 240 is the best option to put a 5 speed behind a CIH. It also increases the value of a GT by pretty much whatever it cost you. It's the only plug and play 5 speed, as far as most of the parts are concerned (see post #15). For $3k before roughly $300? in shipping costs, that's a good deal for a rebuilt Getrag 240.

A 2.4L with a Getrag 240 is the gold medal swap for an Opel. The holy grail would be a cross flow with a ZF, but that's crazy money.

·
Super Moderator
5,968 Posts
... It's the only plug and play 5 speed.
I am a big fan of my Getrag 240 5-speed, but it isn't QUITE "plug & play", unless Charles is able to supply the needed bits.

1) The shifter has to be modified so that the shift lever isn't 4 inches too far back, and to make it truly great, the shift lever shortened an inch (there had been a very nice Euro aftermarket shifter a few years back but I don't think it is made anymore). And the Getrag shift boot provides a better seal when used in addition to the 4-speed boot.

2) A driveshaft has to be custom built, but it can be either a cut down automatic shaft, or a 4-speed shaft cut down and a special Spicer drive yoke welded on

3) The cross member has to be modified and a special rear mount used (or again, an auto cross member and rear mount can be used with some minor modifications)

4) the side brackets between the transmission and engine block has to be modified, or stock Getrag brackets sourced

5) Finally, a slightly longer speedo cable used, which can be purchased from Opel GT Source, and the 4-speed blue drive gear is needed

OGTS had sold a kit to do all that for $675 ( https://www.opelgtsource.com/search/3419/details), but with the limited supply of Getrags, I believe they no longer sell the kit

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,609 Posts
Keith, Splendid Parts and Edelschmeide have the needed parts for a very clean install. You can do a better setup than the kit at OGTS.

edit I just wanted to add that I am not bashing OGTS and their products. We are pretty lucky to have Gil and the team at OGTS. There are several Opel specific suppliers around the world that all do fantastic at supporting us. No one can have the best products at the best price all the time for every single thing on our cars. That would be unrealistic. I usually will pay more for a better product or result instead of focusing on the cost and sacrificing quality for my GT.

·
Super Moderator
9,758 Posts
Keith
I know you know this, but, not a lot of others do....especially those who drive Mantas or Asconas. Manta/Ascona owners actually have the option to not modify the shifter. You can get a special console for the 5 spd or modify a 74-75 console like I did for my Sportwagon.

·
7,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1) The shifter has to be modified so that the shift lever isn't 4 inches too far back, and to make it truly great, the shift lever shortened an inch (there had been a very nice Euro aftermarket shifter a few years back but I don't think it is made anymore). And the Getrag shift boot provides a better seal when used in addition to the 4-speed boot.
It is made, and Gil will have them in stock soon, also I can provide them for the same $250 if ordered before we ship the transmissions.

For Manta/Ascona you can reuse the stock shifter ( $150 before shipping, and I have a few spares as well ) and cut the tunnel back 4". Which is what I did on Bens car and the shifter location is much BETTER on a Manta moved 4" back. Just have to modify the tunnel a bit, not too hard.

2) A driveshaft has to be custom built, but it can be either a cut down automatic shaft, or a 4-speed shaft cut down and a special Spicer drive yoke welded on
Gil is getting these made, and if someone doesn't have an automatic driveshaft to lengthen, I can get it done for them They pay the cost.

3) The cross member has to be modified and a special rear mount used (or again, an auto cross member and rear mount can be used with some minor modifications)
Nope just an Automatic mount and drill two holes in your old mount. Nothing special here.

4) the side brackets between the transmission and engine block has to be modified, or stock Getrag brackets sourced
OR you can use Automatic brackets OR Manta ones.

5) Finally, a slightly longer speedo cable used, which can be purchased from Opel GT Source, and the 4-speed blue drive gear is needed
Automatic that Gil does sell, the transmissions come with NEW Blue drive gears

OGTS had sold a kit to do all that for $675 ( https://www.opelgtsource.com/search/3419/details), but with the limited supply of Getrags, I believe they no longer sell the kit
He is getting all the parts to make those kits again. I have a feeling the price will go up though.

·
7,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The why I don't sell used Getrag 240s for $800. Cores run $400, shipping to the US runs $300

Then there is the shipping within Europe to get them from where they are sourced to Belgium and then Belgium back to Poland for shipping. Then there are the crating costs.

So already no matter what we are at $800 in costs minimum.

If our recent experience is any indication out of 10 used Getrags :

0-1 will be a good transmission that can be used As-Is

1-2 will need at minimum new seals and shift OK ( $300 in parts )

3-4 will end up having issues in some gears and need at least one or two synchros replaced
( Synchros alone are $170 each, and there are a minimum of 2 that usually need replaced, then there are the seals, gaskets and bearings, etc.. )

At least 2 will need a full rebuild with all the synchros, bearings, and even a paddle or two, those will get "reman'd" and everything double checked and replaced with new or as good used as we have from... ( That's 4 synchros, if we can reuse the Reverse 5 if you can't, and more bearings, and all the other parts )

The 2 that will be only be good for parts and that is it. Either the casing internally is bad or the shafts and gears are or both.
( So yep.. $800+ in 2 cores that are unsellable as transmissions that adds about $100 to the "resellable" transmissions )

To find out which one is which we have to tear them all down, you can not tell from the outside which is which. So really there is no such thing as a "Known Good Used", there is just lucky good used. IF I were tell sell used, it would at minimum get new gaskets and seals after a tear down and an internal inspection.
( That's All Labor which hasn't even been accounted for yet.. so.... ;) )

So that all said, in this batch there were 3 Remans ( They already sold for $3950 and are completely new as possible in the inside ), and there are 3 Rebuilts ( They are the $2950 ones for sale ), and 1 held back for warranty use if needed, after a year if its not used it will go in my GT and I will pay JefBoite for it. .

So.. yea.. no one is getting rich here. That's for sure. I and JefBoite do this as a hobby, neither of us do this as a day job.. because well.... You do the math if we did this for a living, they would cost a LOT More.. ;)

·
Opeler
1,319 Posts
Use a few of your covid bucks and get yourself something nice.
I never stopped working.....i didnt get any covid bucks...haha

Karl

·
Über Genius
9,460 Posts
I never stopped working.....i didnt get any covid bucks...haha

Karl
Me too.
I have received exactly ZERO covid bucks. Worked every regular day except two where I was sick from the 'ccine.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,609 Posts
For a really clean Getrag install that will keep the stock look, the below parts are what I would use. I didn't look at OGTS in compiling this list but I know they can supply some of these parts, so it's worth looking at OGTS to see what they have. Most of these parts are made by either Splendid Parts or Edelschmiede however, so they become the only source for that part.

This list comes to 449,05€ before any shipping costs or taxes. It's possible to install a Getrag for cheaper but it won't look as nice. How much we would actually pay depends on the exchange rate. Right now, that would be $528.16 but your bank, credit card, or PayPal will likely have their own set rate to eliminate minor fluctuations to make it easier. No one is currently producing more transmission support brackets but you can find them for sale on eBay and I'm sure Charles has some sources that also have them. I got one off of eBay for a lot less and it came from Germany.

A driveshaft is also needed but this probably could be created by the Driveshaft Shop or a local shop that can do driveshafts, so it doesn't have to come from an Opel parts supplier. The only part that is Opel-critical on the driveshaft is the weld yoke that has to connect to the prop shaft yoke and uses Opel universal joint UJ29-75.5, according to what I've been able to find. The critical dimensions for the u joint in the prop shaft yoke are 29mm in dimeter with a cross width of 75.5mm. This is not a normal u joint size which is why a donor driveshaft is needed because the weld yoke is unique. The transmission side of the driveshaft could use off the shelf parts, as long as the slip yoke works with a Getrag 240. Supposedly previous conversations on the slip yoke came down to the 2005 CTS 5 speed slip yoke will work. That should use a regular u joint, so an off the shelf slip yoke, u joint, and weld yoke can be used. The major problem is the prop shaft yoke requiring the use of a specific u joint that uses injected plastic. The best solution to the injected plastic is to inject epoxy instead, with RB finding it to be stronger than the injected plastic. The driveshaft length is 9.75 inches for the pipe, with 337mm from center of u joint to center of u joint. Getting a driveshaft for this conversion can be a PITA, all thanks to the prop shaft u joint being specific to Opel. Almost makes you wonder if it would be cheaper / easier to just have a custom prop shaft yoke made out of steel!

Other parts that someone might also need...

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,609 Posts
One important thing to remember is although a GM yoke is the same diameter and has the correct number of teeth to fit the Getrag, it does not have bevels on the teeth.
It will bind on the Getrag.
Is this the situation with the CTS 5 speed yoke?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi Goinmanta,
what cut off date do I have before they are shipped to the US? I am in France and was going to go Getrag hunting this winter but this would save me the hassle. I do have a bit of covid cash but need to calculate costs for the complete swap out parts package (as per Autoholics post) including sourcing a useable/modable propshaft for my GT. Most important to me is that I dont want to cut or change anything that stops me from reverting back to 4 speed original condition (I can make a new cross member to fit the Getrag if need be).

In my next incoming crates I will have 3 Rebuilt 5 speeds available.

All new seals, syncros, and the blue speedo gear

Cost is : $2950 and You pay shipping from Virginia. But not from Europe.

What you get is what you see..

Call me at 1-804-503-0249 or email: [email protected]

View attachment 437035 View attachment 437037

View attachment 437038

1 - 20 of 29 Posts