Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recall on their 3 and 6 Ton Jack Stands # 56371- 61196- 61197 are the numbers but check their website. Stop using these now! The latch will fail.
Work and stay safe.

·
RunOpel
1,204 Posts
Thanks for the heads up John. Maybe I'm one of the weird or paranoid ones, but I have never trusted jack stands alone. I always put some form of blocking as a backup. Don't get me wrong, I do use jack stands.
Thanks again, we all need to make sure our equipment is safe so we all stay safe.

·
Opeler
2,995 Posts
Some of the Harbor Frieght reviews suggested that some jack stands had latch issues.
Most or all less expensive jack stands are Made in China.

According to the company, the pawl on the Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands may disengage from the lifting post if the weight shifts, allowing the post to drop.
The company said it learned of the issue in the China-made product in January and that it is likely due to the machine tooling used to make the stands having become worn out over time.
Harbor Freight believes that only the most recently produced stands are affected, amounting to 5 percent of those in circulation, but is recalling all 454,000 that were manufactured between June 13, 2013 and Nov. 22, 2019.
Owners of the products can return them to Harbor Freight in exchange for a store gift card of their full price.

Safety Recall: Information on how to identify the affected stands can be found on this link.

·
Registered
765 Posts
A recall on their 3 and 6 Ton Jack Stands # 56371- 61196- 61197 are the numbers but check their website. Stop using these now! The latch will fail.
Work and stay safe.
I seem to recall your telling me to get my big jack stands on sale at some other store. Thank you. While I do have some lightweight Harbor Freight jackstands, my big 6 ton ones are the ones you recommended - strong & safe as you said.

·
Registered
421 Posts
likely due to the machine tooling used to make the stands having become worn out over time.

Rather: "Likely due to the machine tooling used to make better stands for better brands having become worn out over time and discarded, at which point Harbor Freight used the unsuitable tooling for its entire production volume and we're just now realizing why that's a bad idea on a mission critical component with fatal consequences."

Strong parts aren't strong, and I bet the weak parts aren't weak enough either. The pin is supposed to sheer under load so you can't trigger collapse when it has weight on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts