Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok After searching the forum with no luck knowing this info is there I will ask anyway.

What is the recommended oil filters for an opel 1.9l engine

I have seen these used

xxx 966b
quaker state qs3614

regards

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
Well, I knew this would come up one day, so, I'll post this list I carry in my wallet so that I can walk into just about any parts store and "hopefully" get something:

Purolator- L10028
Fram- PH3614
Fram- PH3887A
Quaker State- QS3614
Supertech- ST3614
CarQuest- 85374
NAPA- 1374
Mobile- M1102
Bosch- 3330
Wix- 51374 (GT)
Wix- 51364 (Manta)
K&N- KNN-HP 1002
A/C Delco ACF-PT-53

Except for the Wix, I don't remember what filter is short or long as to which chassis it'll fit. I.E. Manta/Ascona or GT/Kadett. I'm sure there's a few other numbers that can be added to this list, but, it would help if those who do know these other numbers, please do a cut&paste and add the numbers. It will make a definitive list for those to come.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Nice list, Gene . . .

Well, I knew this would come up one day, so, I'll post this list I carry in my wallet so that I can walk into just about any parts store and "hopefully" get something:

Purolator- L1002B
Fram- PH3614
Fram- PH3887A
Quaker State- QS3614
Supertech- ST3614
CarQuest- 85374
NAPA- 1374
Mobile- M1102
Bosch- 3330
Wix- 51374 (GT)
Wix- 51364 (Manta)
K&N- KNN-HP 1002
A/C Delco ACF-PT-53

Except for the Wix, I don't remember what filter is short or long as to which chassis it'll fit. I.E. Manta/Ascona or GT/Kadett. I'm sure there's a few other numbers that can be added to this list, but, it would help if those who do know these other numbers, please do a cut&paste and add the numbers. It will make a definitive list for those to come.
. . . but, based on our mutual experience, :banghead: it would be very helpful to ID those NOT! to be used with 'dealer installed' GM A/C using the GM A6 compressor installed on oil filter side of CIH engine . . .

Reactions: Will I. Finish

·
Super Moderator
9,768 Posts
. . . but, based on our mutual experience, :banghead: it would be very helpful to ID those NOT! to be used with 'dealer installed' GM A/C using the GM A6 compressor installed on oil filter side of CIH engine . . .
Very true Otto, I forgot about that.:banghead:

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Perhaps, BUT . . .

I have a habit of saving various articles related directly or indirectly to Opels. The attached article is a comprehensive comparison between various brands of oil filters.
. . . this 'report' ". . . was last updated 09/07/99." . . . 12 years ago! Don't know ANY manufacturing company that is still marketing identical products designed 12 years ago, especially in the highly competitive 'replacement parts' market, does anyone?! . . . and just who is this Russell W. Knize anyway?

3,721 Posts
. . . and just who is this Russell W. Knize anyway?
I did little Google-ing. It appears that the person in question is prety knowledgeable about filters. There are numerous articles on various filters that he wrote just three years ago:
German Filters - Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources
Toyota Filters - Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources
Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources
Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources
Mopar Filters - Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources
HP1 Filters - Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,574 Posts
The most common filters I find locally are the Purolator 10028 and the PF53 AC/Delco both are the short kind..

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
For A/C cars . . .

The most common filters I find locally are the Purolator 10028 and the PF53 AC/Delco, both are the short kind..
. . . with 'passenger-side' mounted GM A6 compressor, filter OD is the most critical spec.

·
Opeler
3,144 Posts
Bitter Experience

Hmmm, how would you know about this Otto? :pat: LOL
Long time ago, I vaguely remember a "Bitter" experience during a rain storm in the South (Georgia?) where somebody's oil filter was cut. Don't think the oil filter was destroyed by vandals, but by misinterpreted application data from a "Burroughs" mainframe computer. :sigh:

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Uh, Gene . . .

Hmmm, how would you know about this Otto? :pat: LOL
Long time ago, I vaguely remember a "Bitter" experience during a rain storm in the South (Georgia?) where somebody's oil filter was cut. Don't think the oil filter was destroyed by vandals, but by misinterpreted application data from a "Burroughs" mainframe computer. :sigh:
. . . a pic of the intruded filter might help Lindsay recall this incident more clearly!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts