Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently told that Anti-freeze is an excellent rubber treatment. Any thoughts? If not...what have the Opelers tried that has worked well?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't believe that there is anything that truely rejuvenates rubber. If you are trying to keep it from breaking down even further I have had some good luck with WD-40. It has good penetrating abilities along with lubricating the rubber itself. I see nothing wrong with using antifreeze except maybe that animals are attracted to the odor and may end up eating away all your rubber pieces! :p Explain that one to your insurance agent!

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Amourall Protectant and a coat of tyre black paint does as good a job as anything.

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
Well, way back when I found out GM was discontinuing the front and rear rubber for the Manta and Ascona A, I stashed my own personal collection of NOS window rubber away in a plastic bag, but first I gave everything a liberal coating of pure silicone spray. That was in about 1994-95 IIRC, and those rubber parts still look and feel like new rubber today.

I have heard Armor-all can degrade rubber as it contains alchohol....but I can't prove or disprove that myth.

HTH,
Bob

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
acrylic laquer clear coat for dried cracked rubber

this is made as a top coat for a rattle can paint job. I believe its around $23 a can.

my rubber seal was 33 sundrenched years old, deep cracks and looked like it needed replaced.

this stuff did not peal from the rubber, did not crack since i coated it 1 year ago.if you spill gas on it..it might..

my car is dirty, but the clear coat made it look 100 % better. i bet you could catch the spray in a cup, then use a small brush

made in canada, where there are opelers,so we can trust this product

Attachments

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
RallyBob said:
I have heard Armor-all can degrade rubber as it contains alchohol....but I can't prove or disprove that myth.
I've heard the same thing and was informed by a specialty auto shop that Armor-all contains petroleum distillates...which breaks down petroleum-based products like rubber. A tire dealer told me the same thing and said not to use it on tires, especially, as it will rot the sidewalls. But I'll leave this discussion to the chemists here.

I use a silicon-based product by Turtle Wax which is made to protect tires. Works great on dashboards, too. The brand name escapes me now, however.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts