Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man! Twice now I've been outbid at the last minute on e-bay for those rectangular indicator lights that are on the early 69 GT. They don't come up often on e-bay. I have a panel that uses them but it is broken in two between the speedo and tach. I talked to one fellow who was going to try and make the rectangular one fit onto the panel of a round one, I think the round ones are bigger, I am not certain as I haven't set them side by side to compare but I am almost certain they are shaped differently and are not interchangeable. Has anyone tried to do this here? Has anyone had any good results with plastic repair on the gauge panels? If I fixed the busted one I have , it would have to be an almost perfect repair because looking at a shoddy patch job as I drive my GT would not be a pleasant task for me. Iwonder if anybody out there has a panel that they would sell to me- I put an add on the parts wanted classified. They seem to be pretty hard to come by. I have a 69 GT but it has the round ones so they are early 69 or it has been replaced with a later one. My 69 was built 7-69. Just out of curiosity, does antbody else think the rectangular ones look much better than the round ones. Either these other bidders are intent on restoring their 69 to concours or they like them better too. This last one sold at $53.50 and it was just the plastic- no gauges or switches or anything other than the indicator lights on the panel. Next time, I'm bidding so darn high, they will have to be as crazy as I am to outbid me!!

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Jim;
I have a 69 GT, with the stock rectangle lights. I prefer the round ones. I have a dash that I'm going to swap to, but, it's at a friends (he's looking into making "wood" dash coverings for the GT) otherwise, I'd sell you mine

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Jim,
You can swap the round ones out for the square ones no problem. But you will need to get the screw-in clip holders for the dashboard instead of the push-in type found on the '69 dashpad. The other difference between the early '69 and later dashpanels is that there is no lighting provision for the rocker switches. Of course, you could either rig the light to work, or just leave the clear plastic in there nonfunctional.

I've changed my opinion since driving regularly behind the wheel of a '69... I now prefer the square indicators, but maybe just because they're different.

Anyway, I have three '69 dashpanels, and they are all cracked in some way. I will repair the one which only has a hairline fracture. Hey, I'm just a purist on this one GT (an 1100cc built in 1968).

Walter

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I bought a rectangular dash that was broken thinking that the rectangular insert was removable and that some fancy drummel work could make it fit. NO WAY- the rectangular lights are molded into the dash and are not removable from the dash unless you cut them out. I did cut them out and someday hope to find a way to incorporate then into my existing dash but won't be doing it soom.

·
Opel Addicts
2,474 Posts
rectangular indicators

Jim B.,

We have several rectangular indicator light. plastic instrument panels. I want one for my project car. We may be able to work out something with one of the others, let us know if you are interested.

Vickie Gage

·
Opel Addicts
2,474 Posts
Jim,

I tried to PM you a reply, but your inbox is full. If you PM me your home email address, I'll send you the message and a picture of what I have.

Vikie

·
Opelholic
36 Posts
Jim, I can help you out with a complete guage panel with the rectangular lights with or w/o guages. Let me know.

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks but I am good for now. I got one in the 69 scrapper and an extra one with the parts that came with the car. I appreciate it though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts