Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
I thought you were thinking of the red light next to the dash turnsignal indicators. This lights up when you have a MC failure(uneven pressure) or when you press the rocker switch.

I've seen some GT's where the red light you pictured Baz that lights up when the dash lights are on. As far as my GT goes, the light in the rocker switch has never lit up('early 72 but would be titled as a '71 in europe).

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
I believe it tells you if you are sending unequal pressure to the front and back wheels, indicating you are starting to experience braking failure.

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
I belive the additional lights are just for revenue generation. My inlaws won't drive the car if the "service engine" light comes on. They get a tow truck, pay $$ for the mechanic to tell them that their gas cap wasn't on tight:confused: If people just took a little time to understand what things mean, they could save themselves a lot of grief.

The best one is when I see a SUV with a flat tire and the driver is calling some to come out to change it. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

OK, off my soapbox now.

Jeff

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
2 Fast 4 U said:
I don't know how it's in a GT but with the "A" Ascona if the clutch is worn to much the red light of the hand brake will light up as wel, you can test this if you pul the clutch pedel up [there is a switch up there]
The Manta A also has this feature.

The GT does not.

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
There is only one wire. If the wire touches ground, the red light goes on. This is how the switch works. I believe the '73 also had a switch on the parking brake. I'd check to see if there is a switch under the paw of the parking brake. It works on the same principle, the wire grounds out and the light comes on. Automatic GT's also had this switch.

HTH

Jeff

· 1000 Post Club
4,128 Posts
Nice pictures Jeff. It looks very easy for this wire to wear and ground itself out and cause the light to come on. I'd advise checking this wire all the way back to the dash and checking the switch.

Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.