Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
gogtgo
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the second GT and the second time when the brakes failed that the red light came on and stayed on. Even after the brakes were redone. the sending unit seems to not get the message. Only when I remove the wire from the master cylinder does it go off. I thought maybe I ought to remove it and tap it a little then replace but would that work and would I have to re-bleed the brakes?

·
boomerang opeler
5,670 Posts
sounds like the sender is stuck or shot try a new one or known good to test
and if you change the unit or losen it you will need to bleed it system again

·
gogtgo
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
read previous thread on same topic

well I guess I will have to try cleaning sending unit first then bleed master cylinder, then bleed brakes then change lines, then rebuild master cylinder if it still has same problem.

·
gogtgo
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh hell oh well

Thanks Baz, It helps if I had someone availible to do it right the first time. I am going to the opel meet in San Antonio this weekend. I will probably get plenty advice there.

·
boomerang opeler
5,670 Posts
if the brakes are working ok then it has to be the sender you could just leave the wire off and tape it till after the trip

·
Opel Addicts
2,480 Posts
We had the same problem with my 69...replaced everything, cylinders, lines, MC. Light still on and off periodically. I still have great pedal. Fixed it....by disconnecting the electronic sender. Works great LOL

Vickie

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
I moved this to the "Brakes" Forum. Please try to post in the correct Forum.

As for the indicator switch, it is might be functioning fine. Try removing it, and make sure that if the pin is fully extended, the light goes out. When you push the pin in, the light should come on (or just use an ohm-meter to see if the switch is "open" to ground when the pin is out, and "closed" when the pin is pushed in).

If the switch works, then the master cylinder, even if rebuilt and working properly, might not be "quite" set right. The indicator switch is a simple push-button affair, that is "open" (no light) when extended into the "groove" between the rear and front circuit plungers when they are in their correct position. But if the plungers are shifted a bit forward or rearward, the switch is depressed (since it is no longer "in the groove"), and closes the circuit (and the light comes on). I have posted a photo below (from the FSM)

I wouldn't just disconnect the wires, as it might indicate your master cylinder is not functioning properly.

Bleeding the MC might help. To do this, you have to remove the brake lines at the MC, and "bleed" some fluid out of both the front and rear connections. Make sure that you lay down lots of rags, as brake fluid is a very effective paint remover. Then connect the lines back up, and re-bleed all the brakes, starting at the drivers side front, then the passenger side front, then the drivers side rear, and finally the passenger side rear.

If the switch worked properly when removed, and still lights up, then the master cylinder needs to be re-built, or you have a leak in either the front or rear brake circuit.

HTH

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.