Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
Glass and plastic are good insulators until the voltage gets really high. Or until the frequency gets really high- rf can get through places you'd never expect.
Cool you peaked my interest
In the automotive field theirs three
Peak voltage..burn voltage and burn time.

·
1,719 Posts
The dist. rotor in Dan's photo has a resistor in it. You should be using a rotor with a solid conductor (ford 2.3 4cyl.and others) to keep the heat down on your HP coil you said you are running.
I would like to recommend that you set base timing to 5 degrees and then connect your Vacuum Advance to Intake Manifold Vacuum (not ported at the carb.) Why? Because of burn rate changes from idle to accelerating.. (I hate to type)and the changes needed in timing. If you try this you will you may find you can run base timing lower. You will be using your vacuum advance as a sort of load indicator.
At idle (lean) engine needs more timing to fire this mixture on acceleration (rich) you do not need this vacuum advance to work . I may have tried to keep this to simple to show all the details and I do not do charts!! HTH
John

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hi, an update from Jim_Frank. I finally built the O2 meter and used it to tune the carb. It idles at 16:1 AF ratio and runs under load at around 13:1. Stepping on it drops it to 9:1 or so.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts