Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
relocating brake booster and master cylender

Has any one ever moved the brake booser and master cylender form in front of the radiator support back to the fire wall, where the brake rod comes from?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bear, I think I saw a pcture of that setup a while back on one of the engine swaps to a V-8. Personally I would be a little leary of doing it. The brace from the firewall to the radiator support gives a good deal of structual integrity in that area to prevent twisting the body under high torque applications. JMTCW.

Ron

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i had to do it for my 2.3 turbo swap. i used a bmw z3 master cylinder and pedals. i took out the entire radiator support. it looks kinda clean now. i am running a front mount intercooler. the piping over the engine was just to test run it.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How hard was it to move? I am wanting to runa 2.4 fi, I want to put the radiator infront of the radiator support so i can get a larger custom radiator made. Will the original brake pedal work with the relocated boaster and cylender?

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bear, If all you want to do is put in a custom radiator, get hold of TGSI racing. I believe they have a link on this site. FYI, I put a 3-row radiator in my GT for the 3.4/T-5 mod and it should be more than enough to cool the engine. I checked the engine on a stand before I installed it and the temp stayed at 181-186 degrees and the thermostat only lost about a quart between thermostat cycles (open and closed). You may want to ask this question to the folks that have done the 2.4 mod and see what they've done for cooling and if they have had any heating problems.

Ron

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Speedway GT's brake master cylinder is behind the firewall, mounted to the original pedal assembly (cut out of the firewall) and mounted to a bracket welded into the rollcage. With a racing seat mounted as far back as possible (after removing all the sheetmetal coming up from the floor) the pedal position comes out perfect.
I'm sure this is far more radical than most people would go, but it answers your question. Yes, it can be moved.
Just about anything can be done, with some careful planning, cutting, grinding, and welding...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thought I'd send a photo of my newest GT. I purchased the car a few weeks ago but I can't get the car on-post as the gate guards say that each car must be registered (but that's another story). Anyway, I purchased this car and it had this HUGE radiator already installed as well as the master cylinder relocated. The current issue is the hood hinges as they intrude into the headlight bucket areas which will probably make me go with hood pins unless someone out there has another idea?
Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
A view of the headlight bucket area (passenger side). Bear, you might want to decide how your hood will hinge because moving the radiator may impact your hood hinges (as it did mine). JMTCW.

Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info, and the pics. I must say I have some food for thought now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts