Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, things are just getting amazing in the 'I can't believe it' manner. I'm learning a lot about the intricacies of the Opel GT engine and the phenomenal patience of my other half; I had no idea that there was this much disassembly involved in removing the crankshaft. It's been interesting, though, and a good thing with what we keep discovering along the way. Like the alternator not having mounting bolts tightened. :eek: Truly stunning array of sizes (millimeter and standard) in the bolts and screws. On the same part. That aren't supposed to be different. A bad throwout bearing while having a new clutch disc, pressure plate, and transmission seals. Gear shift just goes straight thru a big hole. Period. The exhaust smell is truly lovely. Bolts on water pump weren't replaced with anything odd-sized or different. They were left as they were. With over 30 years of rust.
Needless to say OpelGT Source is going to have a terrific time with my next order.
As soon as I have the crankshaft polished and/or ground I'll give an update. Will have to find out about the bearings. So looking forward to that.
I know I'll get to drive it again someday. Someday.
Ging

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
troubles

Ging;
Hang in there! ;) We're all behind you (in case the motor blows :D ) Seriously though, if you're in need of something, give me a buzz, and I'll see what I can do.
Gene

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'... and there was much rejoicing.'

Couldn't help the Grail reference. Instead of devouring minstrels we have succeeded in removing the crank. It was a thing of beauty. Now onward to the maching shop and the Wizards of Emory and Rouge. Let's hope they can perform their spells correctly.
Wanted to say thanks again to all you wizards and scholars. Without you the whole process would have been a nightmare and a lot of possibly bad guess work.
From a humble squire,
Ging :D

Oh, hey. While you wizards are reading this (all you 'Mighty Tims') I know the flywheel and the pressure plate are balanced as a set but does this include the weight of the flywheel to crank bolts????? Boogered one bolt removing it and don't want to reinstall it so do we replace one or all if we can't get the same as the originals????
And while you're captive (and have nothing better to do than answer all my questions :rolleyes: ) the clutch disc looks new. However, the rivets are countersunk so shallowly to my eye... is that normal?? I mean it looks like a 1/16". Seems like they'll be scoring away in no time.
That's the last of the epic and my apologies for it and thanks for your patience and advice. It's meant a lot.
Ging

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
bolts/clutch/?????

Ging;
On the bolts, you'll notice that the head are REAL thin, and unless you are REAL careful, you can screw one up real quick. I have replaced all mine with regular thick headed screws. It shouldn't be too much of a problem, even though the bolts are fine threaded metric. The clutch, if the little slots on the clutch material are gone, I'd replace it. When those little slots are gone, you've gotten just about all the "goodie" out of it.

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
BQS4 said:
...On the bolts, you'll notice that the head are REAL thin, and unless you are REAL careful, you can screw one up real quick. I have replaced all mine with regular thick headed screws.
Just make sure the replacement bolts are the same rating as the original and not some Home Depot import. The rating is coded on the bolt head.

Also, always use a 6 point socket when removing the clutch and flywheel bolts. This lessens the chance of rounding the hex bolt corners.

·
Über Genius
9,368 Posts
On the clutch disc... It amazed me the first time I replaced one. I was replacing the throwup bearing and figured I would check on the disc as long as I was in there. I saw how thin my old one was and rejoiced that I had gotten to it in time. Thought "man is this thing close". So I buy a new disc and voila, turns out it has the same thin layer of meat. I checked and this is very normal. As long as you don't ride the clutch or feather it every time you start out, you should get 50K - 80K from a disc.

·
Registered
275 Posts
As long as you don't ride the clutch or feather it every time you start out, you should get 50K - 80K from a disc.
My husband purchased his Honda Accord new in '91. Was very careful with all the routine maintenance. Changed his clutch at 392,000. There was only a tiny bit of scoring on the plate. Oh, and the car now has 439,000. Original engine.
Cool.
Ging :cool:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The crankshaft saga

The crankshaft went to the machine shop. The owner looked at the crankshaft. The crankshaft is shot. Worthless. The very first thing he looked at made it all moot; the rear thrust bearing ground away and destroyed the crank as it committed suicide as well. I'm not in favor of any welding to build it back up. Too many possible troubles later on. So. It's another crankshaft for me. Needless to say I am thrilled. Have had an offer from one of you nice gentleman that has one and I'll be checking with you soon. Just wanted to update everyone so if you see the headlines about the Opeler who was convicted of premeditated murder you'll know it was me.
Having a lovely day, how 'bout you?
Ging :eek:

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
crankshaft

Well Opelers;
There may be a happy ending to this long sad story. I offered Ging and "Mr. Ging" ;) a crank from a parts car I'm stripping. They arrived early Saturday morning and we pulled it out of the block together. With it laid side-by-side with their old crank, even to the naked eye (sorry for the risque language Gary :p ) but, you could definitely tell their old crank was shot. I am quite sure the crank we pulled out will get them back on the road, but, to be sure, I told them to run it by a machinist first and get his ok, then we'd get straight on the $, which isn't going to be much, but, I would rather buy something they can use, other than buying another paperweight.
Gene

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Due to computer obstinance my earlier post got lost in the nether planes. What I said then is this:
For those of you who haven't met Gene - if you ever get the chance do everything you can to make it happen. He's terrific and so is his family. I think his daughter knows more about Opels than I do. Can't say how much I enjoyed the whole visit. Look forward to seeing them all again.
The crankshaft looks really good and will have a verdict soon if I can get 'Mr. Ging' (love that moniker - wonder how he'll like it?) to quit running off with it in the trunk of his car. Am stealing it no matter what tonight (can't wait for the police to come by and stop me from stealing my own crank from my husband's Accord) and will have it at the machinist tomorrow. Will let everyone know about the outcome. Needless to say I am about ready to claw my way thru any opposition to get my GT on the road again. Withdrawal. Gotta love it.
So, thanks again Gene and thanks to all of you for the great advice and info. Here's hoping it all works out and I can get my driving fix before too long.
Ging

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
crankshaft

Ging;
Well, if the police do come to arrest you, then you can say that it was an actual "crank" call ROFLMAO!!!! :D :D Sorry couldn't resist ;) I don't think you will have any problems with that crank. You're right though, driving Opels is addictive. I have a big grin on my face every morning and evening, driving to and from work.
Keep 'em rollin'!!!!!
Gene

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The cops

But Gene,
What if I get caught with 'crank' in my car? If I'm convicted on drug charges won't I get the 'shaft'? I doubt I'll 'score' any points for it being from an Opel.
You never know, though, what will have any 'bearing' on a case like that.
(Where are all the smilies for groans when you need them? ) :eek:
Here's to fun in the punny wagon, :eek:
Ging

1 - 12 of 12 Posts