Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1971 Opel GT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to remove this shifter from a Getrag in a GT. I have not been able to find instructions for these shifters and I am not sure if this is a standard design shifter anyways. Can it be removed through the hole in the tunnel or does the transmission need to be dropped? There are 2 bolts on the top, and they appear to have loose nuts on the other end and I can't remove them. I am also wondering if there are other bolts that I can't see from the top. I was hoping this was an easy job..... Thanks.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Metal Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
14,562 Posts
Best done with the transmission lowered at least. Even if you get those two bolts out, the shifter itself needs to be disconnected from the transmission, and that is under the shift tower (item #3).

Font Line Auto part Parallel Diagram

·
Super Moderator
6,180 Posts
Best done with the transmission lowered at least. Even if you get those two bolts out, the shifter itself needs to be disconnected from the transmission, and that is under the shift tower (item #3).
I have only ever installed a Getrag 240 shifter assembly onto the transmission PRIOR to lifting the engine/transmission up into place, and have never attempted to remove or install the Getrag shifter with the transmission installed.

The linkage bar can be disconnected at the front coupling, by removing the zip ties and the pin underneath, rather than under the shifter shaft.

You MIGHT be able to lower or tilt the rear of the transmission enough to get the shifter out, but it would have to drop a lot. I believe that the shifter frame is larger than the hole in the tunnel, and won't likely be able to come up through it.

·
Premium Member
1971 Opel GT
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the diagram and info. I was hoping for an easy fix, but I guess I will live with the vague shifting for a few hundred miles until I am ready to do the transplant to the blue car I am restoring. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts