• Out the top

Votes: 49 21.1%
  • Out the bottom

Votes: 183 78.9%
201 - 207 of 207 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
When you take the engine out the bottom, I'm assuming that you just disconnect the leaf spring from the lower control arm and remove the cross-member from the frame? Or does the entire front suspension have to be removed?

I'm going to need to replace the tranny soon and am wondering if maybe it would be just as easy to remove the engine as well, which would also give me a chance to paint the engine bay.
You don't even touch the front suspension cross member, and it is quite easy just to drop the motor/trans as a unit. Most just go basically like this:
Support motor/trans with cherry picker
disconnect all hoses, cables, linkages.
disconnect engine cross member
lower motor/trans to floor
release chery picker from motor, and use to lift the front of GT to just clear motor/trans, and slide motor/trans out.

The opposite is true, if you want to rebuild the frontend and not have to remove the motor/trans. Just put the front of the GT on jackstands, at the front jack points, and remove the front suspension, leaving the motor/trans in the car.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Ok, that's good news. I was thinking that it was crossmember that the leaf spring is attached to. I'd climb under my car and take a look but it's not here right now.

·
Über Genius
9,373 Posts
Ok, that's good news. I was thinking that it was crossmember that the leaf spring is attached to. I'd climb under my car and take a look but it's not here right now.
As BQ said but I didsocnnect the intake and exhaust manifold and pull them up towards the passenger side of the car. I usually tie them off to the hood latch shaft.

Also, if you remove the alternator it makes things easier.

Once you have enough experience it will take less than an hour and a half to drop a motor from a runner. To put back in and start it up it will take less than 2 hours (once experienced enough).

My personal best is 45 minutes to drop a motor, 30 minutes to replace the clutch and 1.25 hours to put the engine back in.
I did it on a piece of plywood on the grass using a cheap floor jack and "Wilmar" tools and some pieces of 2X4.
The only reason it went so quick is I actually did the clutch change UNDER the car. I never removed the engne from the jack so it stayed in the exact position it came out in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
engine

about to begin removing and replacing my engine.....(GT - 1.9)....in my garage. does anyone have a method of doing this that makes life any easier...?? i have a floor jack, small transmission jack on wheels.....and two jack stands. any ideas appreciated.
Put a 4x4x8' pole in the rafters for a chain fall, use thar to support engine while you unhook it. Then use it to lift the body up as high as you want.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Put a 4x4x8' pole in the rafters for a chain fall, use thar to support engine while you unhook it. Then use it to lift the body up as high as you want.
+1 I've done it this way, works great.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Did the same idea. I had two 4x4" x 6' peices of lumber ontop of my rafters. Had a huge 1.5 ton come along to lower/lift my engine.

I raised the car using a 3 ton hydraulic jack on a wodden crib. Also supported the car with four 6 ton 36" tall safety Jacks. Maybe over kill but it all worked well and I felt safe

Attachments

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Stating up front that, yes even I have done this in the past.
But I will also state I feel it is a very POOR idea, from a safety stand point, to suggest it to others. :yikes:

My grandfather told me "Use the right tool for the job and you will have less stress and live a longer life." :yup:

Just saying :p

201 - 207 of 207 Posts