Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must be missing something - I removed the (2) nuts holding the Brake MC to the booster, but there is not enough clearance to move forwards off the studs. The Workshop Manual says to "remove the front support to skirt attaching bolts", but I don't know what that is. Can someone help???

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i believe they're referring to the 4 bolts that hold the actual booster to the front radiator support. you'll have to remove the rod that actuates the booster and MC though.

·
Vendor
3,084 Posts
Brake dancing...

I must be missing something - I removed the (2) nuts holding the Brake MC to the booster, but there is not enough clearance to move forwards off the studs. The Workshop Manual says to "remove the front support to skirt attaching bolts", but I don't know what that is. Can someone help???
I'm not sure, but I think you need to remove the brake booster/MC as a unit rather than trying to remove the MC alone. I just did this, and it can be a little patience testing: http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3838&highlight=brake+booster+remove

Ron in Indy

·
Opeler
30 Posts
I was able to remove my MC only after I pulled the resevoir off the top. Just carefully pry up on the resevoir to avoid breaking the tip off. The hard part was getting the front hose end back into the new MC.

Chris

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just Removed Mine yesterday...

Leadfoot,

Its a tight squeeze, I removed my MC without removing the Booster nuts..
like the previous post ya have to stress the plastic reservoir..I did it by placing a long screw driver between the booster and MC and pride it off..
Luckly nothing broke...

Good Luck

Charlie
:rolleyes:

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts
Need Some Help Please

OK, So I just read all this stuff because I can't get my MC out of the car. The problem is that the front of the MC hits the body and I can't slide it off of the studs. It looks like some body work has been done in this area of the car. Can anyone tell me if the MC is supposed to slide right next to the body of the car, which would be the verticle piece of the body that forms the headlight bucket housing. I think maybe mine is bent and is in the way.

·
crazy opeler
558 Posts
markandson said:
OK, So I just read all this stuff because I can't get my MC out of the car. The problem is that the front of the MC hits the body and I can't slide it off of the studs. It looks like some body work has been done in this area of the car. Can anyone tell me if the MC is supposed to slide right next to the body of the car, which would be the verticle piece of the body that forms the headlight bucket housing. I think maybe mine is bent and is in the way.
If you can, snap a picture (or two or ten) of it and post it here for us to see. I also removed mine without removing the booster. It ranks up there with the hard-to-turn carb bolt and removing the gas tank as my least favorite thing to work on.

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts
Ok, probably won't be for a couple of days.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
I've removed the MC by itself and with the booster attached, either way it is a real snug fit between the headlight bucket and reservoir. The reservoir will be displaced a bit either way, luckily it is plastic and fits into rubber grommets so it will move sufficiently to clear the studs on either end of the booster. How you remove it is up to you, take off the lines, remove two or four nuts, disconnect the brake rod from the booster and have to readjust it. Your call. If it's just the MC you want off then take it loose from the booster. If the booster is the problem, take it all out. JMTCW.

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts
It is not the reservoir that is the problem, it is the body of the MC that hits the body of the car.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Now that puts another wrinkle in the mix. I don't remember if mine hit or not, although I do remember the reservoir being a minor problem. Can you pull the front of the MC towards the center of the car at all? It may give you enuff room to remove it. I guess if push comes to shove a large screwstick could be used as a pry bar to get it past the studs on the booster, but I didn't need one to remove mine. HTH.

·
296 Posts
i just removed mine last weekend. it came right of without having to remove anything else. but it;s a tight fit. and it doesn't come off in a straight position. you gave to move it a bit. bend it. can;t find the right word for it. yiggle? just get it out of it as far as you can and then try moving it. it should clear the bodywork.

·
Senior Contributor
5,083 Posts
I figured it out :D . If you loosen the 4 bolts that hold the booster on you can angle the whole assembly toward the center of the car just enough to remove the MC. You do not have to remove the reservoir.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.