Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, with a spot light I noticed alot of yellow overspray on the head liner and alot of other viynal in my opel, whats the best way to get rid of it ive been scrubbing with a scotch brite pad and engine degreaser for hours but not much is coming off of the headliner and the little viynal wheel well covers. I was thinking like borox?

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
well brakelean will work if u have white interior but do not use to much at one time and spray on a rag and rub lightly and do not concentrate one area too much at a time, i have used this method to clean my vinyl befor i sprayed it, if u have any extra pieces of vinyl i would test on those and see how it works first.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
A great product called "GOOF OFF" found at a harware store works great for me on overspray.

·
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
would a clay bar work? or the spray clay? I know it's for metal but does anyone think that it would on viynal?

·
1000 Post Club
4,116 Posts
Another item to use is Laquer Thinner. Don't rub hard with it or a long time because it will soften the vinyl(sp). I have a white interior and it will take overspray right off. Work in small areas and make sure it is well ventilated. After you clean it, let it dry and if there is anything left, do another application. Be very careful with this solvent.

My interior had some overspray and it worked great. Works great on Glass too.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i'm with Tom, "goof off" is the best stuff out there that i've found, that isnt too harsh that it'll damage your interior.

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
I know we're talking about overspray on the interior but for exterior overspray, that clay bar works like magic! Who knows, it might work on the interior, that spray clay might work.

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Lenses

Anyone know how to remove paint/overspray from the lenses? I've got a Back-up lens in great shape, but someone painted it black. Looks to just be aerosol paint. I need something that won't melt the plastic!

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Here are some pics to show how bad it is. It's more than over-spray, I know.. but I figured the same 'product' to remove over-spray should work the same.

Attachments

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Well after MORE searching, I have found the idea of using Brake Fluid to clean off the paint. Idea comes from This Post. Can anyone else confirm this? I can't see just plain old brake fluid doing very much..

·
PrOpeller
707 Posts
Yes, brake fluid will soften paint. Don't leave it on too long. That's why you should wipe up any spills around the master cylinder when you're done topping off.

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
What is an approximate amount of time to leave it on for? Remove with a rag or old brush? I am trying it, and so far nothing is budging.

·
gone Opel GT crazy!
640 Posts
yes break fluid works well...found that out the hard way when some break fluid dripped a little on the top of my radiator :banghead:
but scraped it back and repainted it...lessoned learned

·
Opelnut
943 Posts
There is some stuff we used on the lexan rc car boddies I used to get from the hobby store I believe it was called "Lift Off" it was aimed at model trains I think but it was a put on rinse off with water and depending on how thick the paint was it would take it off a layer at a time. worked wonderfully an would be good for exactly what your doing.

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Anyone know how to remove paint/overspray from the lenses? I've got a Back-up lens in great shape, but someone painted it black. Looks to just be aerosol paint. I need something that won't melt the plastic!
If it's minor oversparay, you can just use a fine automotive paint polish (Meguires, etc).

For really bad overspray, I have wetsanded the lens' with progressively finer sandpaper (400, 600, 1200), then buffed it on a polishing wheel using a small diameter 'string' buff and plastic buffing compound.

Bob

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Overspray on vinyl is very hard to remove on just one try. We learned our lesson many times and decided to do all of the interior after we paint. One of the old guys in my shop came up with this method, according to him this was widely used at the Ford plant in the 1940s or so.

Vinyl absorbs paint so the only way to open the pores and release the paint particle is to expand the material. We put the car under the sun for a while. When the interior is hot, use silicone spray over the painted area and a sponge. You will have to apply it several times to get the material flexible enough for it to release the paint particles. Once you start to see the paint on the sponge, hit it with formula 409 and complete the cleaning process.

If after doing the above several times the paint has not fuly come off, then the paint has been there too long and will require several tries.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts