Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't found this on the forum or in the FSM - so I assume I just ran out of flexibility / bravery at 1am and that this is super easy.

Am i correct that there is a single bolt that runs through this assembly? A 10mm nut on the left (clutch pedal) and a flat head screw thread on the right (brake pedal).

The whole thing spins if i wrench on the 10mm nut on the left, so this seems logical.

I lacked the yoga skills in the cramped space to get any counter force on the other side and break it free so I stopped to check if i'm missing anything.

Thanks!
Nick

·
Über Genius
9,582 Posts
Yes.
I have one, completely removed, somewhere, if you need to see it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes.
I have one, completely removed, somewhere, if you need to see it.
Great - thanks for confirming that.

I gave it some thought and came up with using the side of a putty knife rather than a stubby screwdriver. That gave me the leverage to prevent the bolt just spinning and allowed the nut to break free. All out now!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Great - thanks for confirming that.

I gave it some thought and came up with using the side of a putty knife rather than a stubby screwdriver. That gave me the leverage to prevent the bolt just spinning and allowed the nut to break free. All out now!
Could you or someone share some insight on how the heck you got the brake pedal off?
The bolt is to long to slide out past the brake peddle and will not slide any further to the left even after I removed the c-clip and washer.
What am I missing here?
clutch pedal and post bracket are removed and still nothing 😢 :mad:

·
Über Genius
9,582 Posts
Could you or someone share some insight on how the heck you got the brake pedal off?
The bolt is to long to slide out past the brake peddle and will not slide any further to the left even after I removed the c-clip and washer.
What am I missing here?
clutch pedal and post bracket are removed and still nothing 😢 :mad:
As I recall, you need to remove the assembly from the car to get the brake pedal off.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
As I recall, you need to remove the assembly from the car to get the brake pedal off.
So I understand, do you mean remove the 4 bolts around (the bubble) that passes through from the brake boost rod channel?
I thought about that but it looks like it is glued to the fire wall or something.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Computer keyboard Input device Peripheral Wood Gas

No - the nut on the left (clutch) comes off and you can slide the clutch pedal off. Then the brake and bulk of the connecting rod can come out from the right of the 'bubble'. The challenge is getting the nut off as the whole rod turns. I had to wedge the edge of a putty knife in the screw thread on the right of the brake pedal while putting a wrench on the nut on the clutch side. Fiddly but once you've broken the screw on the brake side free it's easy going.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,583 Posts
You need to pull the clip off the shaft, then it will slide out to the left.

Dieter

Wood Tool Gas Metal Auto part

Reactions: kwilford

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
You need to pull the clip off the shaft, then it will slide out to the left.

Dieter

View attachment 440595
That's what I was hoping for, BUT the shaft steps down on the clutch side hints the sleeve that goes over that end of the shaft.
And wouldn't you know it ( my luck ) the openings in the (bubble) are smaller on the clutch side, thus the bolt stops as soon as the step up hits the opening
Notice in the pic below the right side of the bolt is the clutch side.
I played with that side hoping there was a sleeve in the ( bubble) but that was a no go the opening is just big enough for that smaller end of the bolt.
Writing implement Pen Office supplies Office equipment Wood

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
And like everything else on this dang car ( someone's been in there) take a close look at the threads on the stinking bolt? :mad:
Wood Auto part Spark plug Metal Fashion accessory
Household hardware Tool Automotive tire Auto part Metal

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
OH you thought that was cringe worthy what the heck is this crap I have continued to ignore? until now:poop:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Hood
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Finger Auto part
Automotive tire Finger Rim Bumper Motor vehicle

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,583 Posts
And like everything else on this dang car ( someone's been in there) take a close look at the threads on the stinking bolt? :mad:
Ouch, that looks bad! Not much you can do here without a lathe. Either weld it over and re-cut the threads, or cut off the threads altogether and tap the bolt.

Dieter

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I wanted to make sure that it wasn't the clutch cable that was adding to how stiff the clutch is and it seems to move freely so I got under the car after I looked at the FSM.
This is not even close to what the FSM shows for a 73 gt clutch cable to fork attachment
1st pic my blunder
And attached is the 73 fsm which is nothing like what I'm seeing
Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wood Bicycle fork Tread

Attachments

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I was really liking firstopel's suggestion of removing the entire assembly. Which would make this whole operation much more pleasant.
But I have no idea how one would get the plate detached?
I don't think I could get it off even with a hot knife that sucker is glued on tighter than anything I've ever seen

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Ouch, that looks bad! Not much you can do here without a lathe. Either weld it over and re-cut the threads, or cut off the threads altogether and tap the bolt.

Dieter
I have no ability to do any of that
Great, Now what?

·
Über Genius
9,582 Posts
Call Opel GT Source and ask if they have one. Or reach out to the community for one.
The pedal assembly is usually a throwaway part when someone rips their parts car apart.

If I had a spare, I'd send it to you for free.

Reactions: terrylewisac

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I may have a lead on one,
Thank you First Opel

1 - 17 of 17 Posts