Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Been doing some work on the ignition. How would I go about removing the steering wheel lock out of it? Thanks

·
1,732 Posts
Hello. Been doing some work on the ignition. How would I go about removing the steering wheel lock out of it? Thanks
Interesting question. First off I would ask if the steering column is out of the GT. Next question is why do you want or need to do this. The steering column lock is a rectangular piece of metal that pops into a slot in the steering shaft when the key is in the off position. It is spring loaded. Not sure if or how it can be removed. If you take the column out of the car and remove six bolts you can pull the shaft out. This assumes you have already pulled the shaft hub. Doing this also makes it easier to disassemble the rest of the column and gives you access the Steering column lock. If you mean the key lock that is a different kettle of fish.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I took mine out, but that was a long time ago and I can't remember how I got it out. I had the damn thing engauged when I was going around a corner. I trounced the brakes and stopped before I hit anything. It never was an issue before, and after that time it will never be an issue again. Don't have any idea why it locked up, but I took it out that evening. I remember you had to take the entire steering column down to the ignition switch. From there, who knows? Sorry, I just can't remember.

Bob

·
Registered
433 Posts
I don't think the steering wheel lock, that is the little rectangular piece of metal that pops up and locks the steering wheel as a theft prevention measure, can be removed. I discussed the issue with Gil at Opel GT Source and if I recall the only option to disarm it would be to grind it down so that it does not engage, but I am pretty sure he said that it could not be removed. Interesting side note - I recently replaced the ignition switch on my GT and dismantled the key cylinder and removed the housing so that I could paint it, anyway when I put it all back together my steering wheel lock worked for the first time in my 48 years of ownership. I have no idea why it did not work for those first 48 years and I have no idea why it started working after my tinkering. Gil indicated that if it is set up properly that it should not engage for no reason, however considering tealcarver's story, that is why I originally asked the question, can it be removed.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyone's advice. I've learned that with those of us that have a separate push-button start for our ignition but turn the key for power, that you have to turn the key to the run position even if it doesn't work to disengage the steering wheel lock.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,128 Posts
I've never had a GT but this made me look at the GT's steering lock and hwo to get it apart. It sure is a lot, lot harder to get to and work on than the Manta/Ascona.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts