Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace the clutch in my '70 GT is a 1.9 stock GT. Can I have some step by step directions on how to do this, I've purchased all the parts from OGTS some time ago and I'm ready to go with the job, never done this before. Thank you

·
1000 Post Club
1,409 Posts
ur best bet is to get urself a manual, because then u would have the step by step instructions and pics to go along with it.

·
126 Posts
I replaced my clutch (70 Opel GT) a few years back and I dont recall anything unussual about it. Im pretty sure its cut and dry. Just make sure you use a clutch alignment tool when installing the pressure plate and disc or you will not be able to (or have a heck of a time) reinstalling the gearbox. Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Al;
I'll try and do it as simple as possible.
1. remove canter console, and remove gear shift and remove "C" clip on clutch cable in engine compartment.
2. jack up car, both ends preferrably, to a safe height for you.
3. remove driveshaft.
4. unhook speedo cable and back up lights.
5. remove 4 bolts holding trans to bell housing and remove trans.
6. remove end of clutch cable from fork, and remove all attaching bolts holding bellhousing to engine block.
7. remove 4 bolts holding pressure plate, remove, along with clutch disc.
8. remove pilot bearing.
Install is reverse process, but, paying attention to the various ajustments in FSM

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I appreciate the help, I know is a very straight forward operation but, some times the manual uses language that is more difficult to understand than someone else using plain english. Thanks again

·
Opeler
754 Posts
Don't forget to unhook the exhaust hangers and let the exhaust hang down. And if memory serves, it's much easier to use a very long extension to unbolt the top bell housing bolts through the shifter opening in the body from the interior after removing the trans. from the bell housing. Slightly raise the front of the engine if need be. It also helps if your son is there to help lower and re-install the trans. : ).

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts