Opel GT Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Keith, I saw your info on GT headlight units. I have a problem trying to put a new cable on and getting it to line up with the handle. If I open the lights the handle is in the wrong place vice verse for closed lights any hints how to get it right, thanks, Ed my email is [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Keith, I saw your info on GT headlight units. I have a problem trying to put a new cable on and getting it to line up with the handle. If I open the lights the handle is in the wrong place vice verse for closed lights any hints how to get it right, thanks, Ed my email is [email protected]
There is some adjustment available at both ends of the cable IIRC so I would start there.

·
Über Genius
9,018 Posts
So, I think this is a good place for this post.

I just removed the rotating mechansms on my parts car. I have a question...

What's the trick to getting all the right bolts off to remove the actual rotator?

I used brute force since the car goes to the crusher soon but it looks like, to remove it properly, you need to remove a bolt from the back of the mount. A bolt that seems to be impossible to get to without bending the carp out of the bracket.

Is there a pictoral tutor somewhere?

·
Über Genius
9,018 Posts
Ah yes, it's amazing what we forget after 30 years...

I thought there was an access hole but felt around for any edges and couldn't find any.
The PO sprayed the frack out of the ender well with undercoating. I finally found the plate and screw that holds it.

Doesn't help that I was too lazy to actually look under there...

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Make that THREE impossible to get to bolts that snap off as you undo'em.......even after you find their secret compartment!
Broken bolts and skinned knuckles are all part of the total Classic Opel Experience!! :yup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ok,the 70 gt bolts on the head lights not good. My 73 parts car looks like some one did some work on the system. All three bolts look new and it looks like they opened up the mechanism. hard to see but there r screws heads. My ? is I have the unit out what should I upgrade before I put it back in?

·
What's a Nopel?
351 Posts
Driver's side Headlight Mechanism

I just got a call from the body shop. When reassembling the headlights, they can't seem to get the Drivers side mechanism to lock in position when pulling the headlight lever. By the attached picture, does anything look noticeably wrong or
broken? Is it possible something is in the locked/closed position that wont allow it too engage??

I'm going to check my stock if I have any replacement parts around. If broken, Is this an impossible part to locate?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Marc

Attachments

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,402 Posts
If you have to replace it

you shouldn't have to ask where. OGTS

Reactions: Marc

·
Sick with Opelitus
1,374 Posts
It does need some mass, weight and momentum to engage the lock, if they are trying to do it by hand it just might not be enough.

·
Super Moderator
8,170 Posts
I just got a call from the body shop. When reassembling the headlights, they can't seem to get the Drivers side mechanism to lock in position when pulling the headlight lever. By the attached picture, does anything look noticeably wrong or broken? Is it possible something is in the locked/closed position that won't allow it too engage??
Clean the rotator and lube it. You may want to 'lock' the rotator by lifting up on the spring loaded parts to see if the mechanism works.

If broken, Is this an impossible part to locate?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Marc
I have a spare or three. :)

Harold

·
Opeler
884 Posts
It does need some mass, weight and momentum to engage the lock, if they are trying to do it by hand it just might not be enough.
I just had left one out a week ago on my GT and I had to move the mechanism into the locked position by hand without the headlight assembly installed. When installed it worked fine. Basically, supporting the above.

·
What's a Nopel?
351 Posts
you shouldn't have to ask where. OGTS
Of Course... The Source! We attempted many adjustments, but in the end we needed a new mechanism as the old one just wouldn't lock closed as there was too much play in it. OGTS came through again! Received it yesterday & installed it today. The new mechanism worked like a charm. Now for some minor adjustments and we are back on course.

Thanks to all!
Marc:veryhappy

Reactions: sawdust

·
Registered
124 Posts
Snap-On reverse twist drill bits

I broke off one of the three mounting bolts...so I removed the mechanism and looked at how to get the broken part of the bolt to out....I didn't want to pull the whole mechanism apart...so I called the Snap-On truck and bought a set of reverse twist drill bits...comes in a set of 4 and you run your drill in reverse...within just a few seconds the bit grabbed the remaining part of the bolt and backed it out...amazing...it really was really easy... Only problem was that my wife was upset that I needed a bank loan to pay Snap-On

·
Registered
16 Posts
Excellent advice in this article - even though most of it's quite "old". The headlights on my recently-bought '69 GT A/L don't always lock shut, so I need to investigate and most of the info I need is in this article. I've also saved the recording of Mike Brewer and Ant's "Wheeler Dealers" instalment of buying, refurbishing and selling a lovely green GT when they were based in CA for a few months in late 2018. Very useful stuff re the headlight system. As we're still in the aftermath of the Covid-19 lockdown here in UK, with all planned car shows/events cancelled, I have plenty of time to dismantle the system and sort it out in slow time. It passed its MoT a month ago, the day before I bought it, so the lights do work (but how sympathetic was the tester to the locking issue?). It seemed fine when I drove it home! Bottom line is that I'm very happy with it - always wanted one in my younger days (70s) and did have a Manta A Berlinetta for 7+ years until the kids got too big for it, so bought a Rekord 2.0S and drove that for 5+ years (including fitting a refurbished Vega engine!).

·
Super Moderator
5,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Excellent advice in this article - even though most of it's quite "old". The headlights on my recently-bought '69 GT A/L don't always lock shut, so I need to investigate and most of the info I need is in this article. I've also saved the recording of Mike Brewer and Ant's "Wheeler Dealers" instalment of buying, refurbishing and selling a lovely green GT when they were based in CA for a few months in late 2018. Very useful stuff re the headlight system. As we're still in the aftermath of the Covid-19 lockdown here in UK, with all planned car shows/events cancelled, I have plenty of time to dismantle the system and sort it out in slow time. It passed its MoT a month ago, the day before I bought it, so the lights do work (but how sympathetic was the tester to the locking issue?). It seemed fine when I drove it home! Bottom line is that I'm very happy with it - always wanted one in my younger days (70s) and did have a Manta A Berlinetta for 7+ years until the kids got too big for it, so bought a Rekord 2.0S and drove that for 5+ years (including fitting a refurbished Vega engine!).
Here are four "GT Headlight" videos created and posted by Keith Lundholm of New Vintage Automotive that are worth watching:

61 - 79 of 79 Posts