Opel GT Forum banner
81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
792 Posts
Now that I have dismantled the passenger side bucket and rotator mechanism, saving the drivers side for last as it appears I will have to remove the Master Cylinder reservoir to get at that one screw. With the cable and the reservoir both there I just can't make it work with even a small wrench, just too tight, wrong angle and all that. Since I have removed the reservoir 4 times this year what's one more time....

Both of my rotator mechanisms work fine, while installed in the car, with the lights locking in place as they should, however after watching the video I cannot manipulate the device by hand, after it has been removed from the car, the way the video showed, that is I cannot make it lock which means I cannot make the micro switch engage, again by hand. That is not a major issue if it works as shown. As you will note in the picture, both sides looked like they are already closed and locked. If that is not a problem, the way it is supposed to be, and the slamming effect of forcing the handle just pushes through then that of course means it is not an issue, however I could not do it by hand. I just don't want to go through the process of putting it all back together and find out that I did not have it set correctly. The picture below is just for reference as it is in fact the drivers side but again both sides looked closed as if in the locked position. I bring this us as I think prior to messing with it the left side was open as if to receive the locking arm which as you can see is shy of being locked and it looks locked, bit again shy of the locked position??.

By the way in the picture, on the passenger side you will note that one of the plugs is not connected, so it will be interesting to see what happens after it is connected, I feel sure it was connected but fell of during installation on the day it was installed, 20 years ago, the two mating parts do not fit tightly, so I will address that. The wring harness that I used was not a 1970 so it may take me a little work to figure out if, I in fact have attached the wires correctly. I do have a 1971 service manual that may answer my questions on that subject.

I will also, while this is all taken apart, be sure to re-clean and lube everything, I believe the video said white grease is best for this application. Will also be sure that all hardware is stainless and that everything is extra tightly installed considering the vibration associated with the function of flipping the lights. Perhaps this would be a good place for some kind of thread locker. I just want to get it right as I have no plans for doing it again. And I am trying to get everything into pretty perfect shape so my daughter, upon passing of the reigns, does not find herself with difficult issues to overcome. Based on what I have read a new Opel should go around 50,000 miles without a major repair.
As always thanking those in advance for your help and advice. Cheers...........Carl

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Carl, if your just checking functionality you can lift the locking tap on each side to lock and unlock the rotator for testing before reinstalling to confirm the switches are working properly and wired correctly but by the looks of yours( very clean ) a quick re grease and you should be in great shape

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
792 Posts
I got it - just had to muscle it a bit, that spring is tight. Thanks....

·
Registered
792 Posts
Here are a couple of useful photos for later when you go to re-install the rotators. It shows which wire goes to which terminal on the micro switches
Hi Keith, Wanted to thank you for the thread and including the pictures of where the wires go on the micro switches - needless to say some of my wires were not as per your example but they are now. Wish that information was available however the majority of my restoration was from 1995 to 2000. Actually two wires had come loose one on each rotator, I have corrected that so it won't happen again. The wires were an exact match regarding color code on the passenger side, so I am good there, however a slight difference on the drivers side. Was wondering if you would take a look and give me your opinion. The right switch looks exactly the same but the left switch is not exactly the same as your picture does not show a black wire. At this juncture I am not at a point to test with electric as everything is still completely torn apart but will be starting to put everything back tomorrow. Thanks. Carl

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Yes that looks correct Carl exactly how mine was/is wired as well here's a pic when I disassembled mine for comparison by poor example LOL
Nut

·
Registered
792 Posts
Wow, I thought the wiring was going to be a nightmare-but that is a great confirmation. Thanks Terry, I will sleep well tonight knowing that I can put this puppy back together tomorrow without worry....Thanks...And even removing that reservoir again was not that big a deal......

·
Registered
792 Posts
Wow, I thought the wiring was going to be a nightmare-but that is a great confirmation. Thanks Terry, I will sleep well tonight knowing that I can put this puppy back together tomorrow without worry....Thanks...And even removing that reservoir again was not that big a deal......
Light buckets and rotators removed wiring changed to the correct configuration and it was way off - control rod/related hardware buffed and clear coated - buckets adjusted for the best fit - everything lubed and tightened - a perfect job. Just one problem no lights.........So I am thinking does this mean that I am going to have to remove all of the crap again, I mean once was not that bad but twice, thats really pushing it. So I walked away and read the forum for a while looking for a magic cure. Went back crawled under the fuse box and started testing again, no power, anywhere on the relays. My vision close up is really poor at this stage of the game but I thought hey what is that red dot on that fuse, it was the color of the fuse showing through the break in the metal part of the fuse. So I got Lights......and now I am having a beer.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts