Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1974 Opel Manta Rallye 4spd.
I'm having trouble finding a place to re-core my original radiator.
I'm looking at purchasing a replacement aluminum radiator on eBay. There is a China manufactured one available from Winner Racing and there is one made in the UK by Coolex Heat Transfer LTD.

Winner Racing:

Coolex Heat Transfer LTD:

Has anyone had experience with either of these radiators?
Any known modifications required?
Any other radiator recommendations?

Thanks in advance~
HD

·
Opeler
106 Posts
Try Opel GT Source.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Seems hard to believe you're having trouble finding someone to re-core it. I had to have mine done when I poked a hole in it trying to get the stupid oversized battery out when I took it in to get dunked they said my upper and lower cans we're bad. I did get lucky though as Gil @OGTS.com Had a good used set and they made one for me. I had them add a petcock as well so I could drain it easier. 3 months later OGTS.com got there aluminum radiators in, go figure, went ahead and got it anyway for future use. this is for my GT but give them a call they maybe able to help o guide you to the finish line

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Opel GT Source suggested the one made in the UK by Coolex Heat Transfer LTD. I'm leaning towards this one for that reason.
Has anyone had any experience using the aluminum radiator from Coolex Heat Transfer LTD?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well one place wanted $800 to re-core the radiator, I laughed.
I like the aluminum replacement idea but just curious if any fitment issues.

Working on getting her road worthy for Carlisle in May.

·
Solo II is fun in a GT!
411 Posts
Opel GT Source suggested the one made in the UK by Coolex Heat Transfer LTD. I'm leaning towards this one for that reason.
Has anyone had any experience using the aluminum radiator from Coolex Heat Transfer LTD?
I have no experience with these Coolex Heat Transfer but if OGTS recommended them, they are worth a good look.
The price does not look to bad after the exchange rate and typical 20% VAT.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
In what part of the country are yo located, OP, just in case someone knows a rad shop near you...?

Just keep in mind that aluminum radiators need more frequent changes of coolant. No, you you don't have to change it every week LOL.

With the brass radiators, the cast iron in the block is the sacrificial element in the electrolysis that will occur through and around the coolant. With an aluminum radiator, the aluminum becomes the sacrificial element in the system. So just change your coolant regularly with an AL radiator, to keep the anti-corrosion additives in good shape and keep the core from become clogged with corrosion. Consider using a longer life coolant like Zerex G05, which is a hybrid OAT coolant..

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
WOW $ 800.00 seems very high Mine out the door including the upper and lower cans form Gil with the added drain I think I was at $535.00 out the door

·
Detritus Maximus
2,872 Posts
Winner Racing:
The listing says their photos are of the actual items....then why is the bottom hose connection sticking out the side? I think I'd trust the Coolex.

·
471 Posts
I bought the one off ebay, but never installed it or even took it out of the box. A locally shop repaired mine for $60. they wanted $500 to recore. The shipping from China only took two weeks in 2019.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,872 Posts
I guess I'm confused (been awhile since I've had the Manta radiator in my hands). All three say they are for Manta A's but the the lower hose positions are different.

Edit: Nevermind. The Chinese Ebay listings are a bit jacked up and contradictory.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
This one looks more correct, but narrower? See spacers on sides for mounting compared to Coolex.

Fit OPEL ALUMINUM ALLOY RADIATOR ASCONA A MANTA A REKORD D Voyage,Caravan 56MM | eBay
Yes, that one is obviously narrower than stock with those extended side mounts.

The Coolex one won't be strightforward to make the lower hose connection as it is going to have to angle 90 degrees outward then 2 more 90 degree turns with that lower outlet at the wrong spot. But maybe OGTS will order them with the outlet in the right position.... Cooleex indicates some ability to change that.

The Coolex ad also seems say that it is 23 mm thicker than stock... that is almost 1" ! (But the sentences are not complete sentences... so I think that is waht it is saying.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm, when I spoke to OGTS they sent me the link to purchase on ebay from Coolex.
Coolex shows 65 sold on ebay and has an informative webiste.
Debating which is the best Winner (China) or Coolex (UK).
Coolex website does not list the Opel radiator.
I messaged Coolex ebay seller and inquired directly to Coolex to verify application...waiting to hear back.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
Well, if you get one with a rear bottom exit of the lower hose, you're gonna have to mess around with non-standard lower hoses. I'd be concerned that the 1st 90 degree turn out of that lower port to get around the fan blade's path could run into the fan blade. You might be able to make a judgement by looking at the present installation.

If the core is extra thick, like that 23 mm, it could easily add half that thickness towards the fan blade.... in other words, you could lose 1/2" of clearance between the rad and fan. So check the present clearance between rad and fan and take that into account.

And the Coolex ad says 'Manta' and 'Ascona', not Manta A or 'Ascona A'. So who knows how, and in what cars, these are getting used.

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,987 Posts
The radiator with the side exit is for an auto trans because of the ATF cooler in the bottom of the radiator for a manual the exit is pointing to the engine

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,278 Posts
Maybe on a GT? IDK about that. But this application is the Manta A / Ascona A. The lower hoses all come out of the side, auto or manual. Same PN in the Opel parts catalogs for manual and auto. (Which seems odd to have the cooler in place for a manual trans.... but that could be a single 'service part' meant to support multiple applications.) The hose connections were the same for all 6 or 7 50 series cars I have ever owned... and all except one were manuals, with the side exit for the lower hose.

Here is a pix of a '73 Manta A manual trans rad... side exit.

And this pix brings up one more question on these rads. See how the filler neck is located on this original 71-73 radiator? The filler neck and rad cap location shown for the Coolex the top center.....that just brings up a question in my mind of if there will be adequate clearance to this non-stock filler location to the hood. It might be fine, but I just don't know....

The 'Winner' rad on eBay brought up by the OP and again by opelbits in post #9 looks the best right now!

Attachments

·
Detritus Maximus
2,872 Posts
And this pix brings up one more question on these rads. See how the filler neck is located on this original 71-73 radiator? The filler neck and rad cap location shown for the Coolex the top center.....that just brings up a question in my mind of if there will be adequate clearance to this non-stock filler location to the hood. It might be fine, but I just don't know....

The 'Winner' rad on eBay brought up by the OP and again by opelbits in post #9 looks the best right now!
Pics help. I just don't remember the side exit lower hose. But it's been 22 years since I had a Manta on the road.

For further confusion...this one looks correct. Matches Manta Ralliers pic for hose inlet/outlet, mountings look correct. I suspect the Coolex may be for a Manta B as the UK got lots of those and the Vauxhaul.

For Opel Manta A 1.9 S 66KW /Kadett C Coupe 2.0 E Rallye Aluminum Radiator 56MM | eBay

Reactions: Manta Rallier

·
Detritus Maximus
2,872 Posts
I found this for an Ascona B 81-88 1.6s. Has the extended side mounts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts