Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The original carb on my 73 Opel GT project is shot. Somehow the primary is completely fused shut. I've given up and begun looking for a replacement. I found the Weber 32/36 but I'm looking for other options. At this point I'm just trying to get the car to start. Any suggestions on other carbs that might fit and be a bit more available in the states, like the mid 70's Toyota Corola's?

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
If you have a stock engine, you have the carburetor you need....Weber 32/36. Not sure why you want other options, I am sure most will tell you the same.

Bob

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Why reinvent the wheel? You can use the one you have or get a new weber for 220$. They will fit and work with minimal effort. Then you can tune it better using the vast knowledge and experience that everyone around here has gained using them for the last 35 years.

·
1,709 Posts
You would not have to reinvent the linkage or fuel lines and look for jets or etc.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Weber 32/36 is the #1 replacement carb for these cars. Most people think it is far better than the original Solex, but there are a few Solex die-hards around. I jettisoned my Solex in 1977 for a Weber and never looked back.

·
Pedal Smasher
1973 Opel GT
2,524 Posts
Why not rebuild the Weber you have? Unless you don't mind spending ~$270 on a brand new 32/36 or 38. Have you tried soaking the Weber in Acetone or Carb Cleaner? I'd bet soaking it for a week should clean it out and allow the primary to open again. If you do decide to soak it and it allows the carb to function again, I'd still rebuild it to replace any soft parts that could dissolve.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Why not rebuild the Weber you have? Unless you don't mind spending ~$270 on a brand new 32/36 or 38. Have you tried soaking the Weber in Acetone or Carb Cleaner? I'd bet soaking it for a week should clean it out and allow the primary to open again. If you do decide to soak it and it allows the carb to function again, I'd still rebuild it to replace any soft parts that could dissolve.
The OP mentioned that this was the cars original carburetor, which would be a Solex.

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
MODERATOR'S NOTE: Thread moved to:

Forum
Technical Forums
The Main Tech Forums
Factory Service Manual
Group 6 - Engine
6C - Fuel System
Aftermarket Down-draft carbs

·
Super Moderator
5,918 Posts
The original carb on my 73 Opel GT project is shot. Somehow the primary is completely fused shut. I've given up and begun looking for a replacement. I found the Weber 32/36 but I'm looking for other options. At this point I'm just trying to get the car to start. Any suggestions on other carbs that might fit and be a bit more available in the states, like the mid 70's Toyota Corola's?
It is very unusual to have the primary throttle not opening, whereas it is common to have a problem with the secondary throttle. Is it linkage, or the carb itself? Common issue is the throttle linkage grommets (two of, one on each side of the engine against the firewall) fall apart, and the linkage won't fully actuate the carb throttle. I would check that out first, by disconnecting the final linkage connection at the carb (small clip to remove, then pull the socket off the carb ball) and see which is the problem.

No other real options for carbs, unless you are willing to do some significant alterations. Way back in 1977 I adapted a Weber 32/36 DFN ("F" as in Ford, which came on Cortina's and some Pinto's) to fit my GT, but the throttle rotation is reversed, as are the primary/secondary throats. That was also available as a Holley version, but same fitment problems. Way easier to find a used 32/36 DGAV or DGEV on eBay and use that.

HTH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts