Opel GT Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,260 Posts
Just a thought

It occurs to me that a possibly simpler and cheaper way to make a relatively small production solution to floor pan rot would be to make a fiberglass over lay, using an oem metal floor as a mold, that could be installed OVER the rotted panel. Similar to how OGTS makes their Lenk hoods and almost identical to what you can do with the fiberglass rear and belly pan panels on GT's: You can sometimes just install them right over the old ones. I put one right over top of a caved in rear panel on a previous GT and it was totally undetectable, simple to do, actually increased the car's strength, and is still alive and well 25 years later.

Obviously those inclined towards keeping their Opels in as close to oem condition as possible wouldn't be interested in this.

Seldom are floor pans so rotted that they've lost ALL the structural integrity they contribute to the car. Most are rotted just at the door sill. Yet, the total replacement ideas being discussed here strike me as being the "nuclear option". Like replacing an entire quarter panel because of one rust hole the size of a quarter. Fiberglass wouldn't rust like new metal floor pans would the second you finish installing them. If you don't weld or braize in the new metal pans ENTIRELY along ALL edges, you aren't truly integrating them into your car's structural stiffness, strength, and stability. If you just spot weld or rivet????????:no:

Fiberglass pans and rockers could be made seperately. The pans could have extra high sides and could be trimmed back as needed. A person could cut out and remove loose crumbly sections of rotted floor, coat what remains with POR-15 or some other product, and lay in the new floor pan using either adhesives, screws, foams, resin, etc. Any water from spilled beers and leaky windshield and door gaskets would just pool up on a fiberglass floor that can't rust!

If I could buy a fiberglass insert for less that $500 that I could just drop in in a day and not have to cut my car all up, I'd do it in a second.:veryhappy

I'm not pooping on the metal floor pan concept, I just wanted to add my thoughts on a concept that might be more applicable for the less ambitious and talented Opel owners out there like myself. :yup:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I seem to recall a tool on Eastwood that would allow you to make "strength indents" like the factory floor pans have. If someone got good enough with it, they could probably make all sorts of one-off replica panels. Just sayin'...

21 - 24 of 24 Posts