Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I'm in the process of restoring an Opel GT that is in bad shape (not to original state though). Is there a replacement for the front beam (is this the correct name for the part where the front weels/dampers/breaks etc. are mounted on?).

Since Opel GTs are quite rare I'm wondering if the part could be taken from another Opel model (or another brand altogether)?

What are your thoughts?

Regards,
Mathias

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
Mathias,

I'm not quite sure which part you're referring to. Maybe this Visual Opel link will help you identify the 'proper' name for this part as well as others in the future.

Harold

P.S. Welcome to the group! :)

·
boomerang opeler
5,629 Posts
Front suspension cross member Harold :veryhappy

I think they swap with the Kadett but dont quote me on that

·
Living in the past
2,288 Posts
Front Cross Member Swap

Front suspension cross member Harold :veryhappy

I think they swap with the Kadett but dont quote me on that
Yes, they will exchange by cutting the engine mounts off the Kadett crossmember. Just make sure that they are swaped for the same engine size.

·
Super Moderator
13,483 Posts
Yes, they will exchange by cutting the engine mounts off the Kadett crossmember. Just make sure that they are swaped for the same engine size.
Kinda-sorta...I learned this the hard way when I was 18 years old.

The GT has a 95.7" wheelbase, the Kadetts have a 95.1" wheelbase. The difference? The bolt hole pattern on the crossmember mounts. So putting a Kadett crossmember into a GT (by cutting the Kadett engine mount brackets off) shortens the wheelbase, and lets the front tires rub the rear of the wheelwells!:banghead:

·
Living in the past
2,288 Posts
Front cross member swap

Kinda-sorta...I learned this the hard way when I was 18 years old.

The GT has a 95.7" wheelbase, the Kadetts have a 95.1" wheelbase. The difference? The bolt hole pattern on the crossmember mounts. So putting a Kadett crossmember into a GT (by cutting the Kadett engine mount brackets off) shortens the wheelbase, and lets the front tires rub the rear of the wheelwells!:banghead:
You are quite right, however if there are very few GT's in Sweden, and I was there, and I could find a Kadett crossmember I bet with a little "engineering" and a tig welder I could figure out how to move the Kadett piece to make the wheelbase correct, I know that you could LMAO

·
Detritus Maximus
2,230 Posts
It would probably be cheaper and easier to ship a crossmember to Sweden from here. If all that is needed is the crossmember without spring or suspension.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thanks for the answer guys :)

It is indeed the front crossmember I am talking about. My problem (apart from some normal rust) one of the bolts for the control arms has rusted shut and I cannot get it out. I have cut it on both ends with a metal saw so that the control arm itself is gone. Tried drilling it out but that didn't work.

Now I'm thinking of taking the entire crossmember to a metal workshop and have them help me.

//Mathias

1 - 9 of 9 Posts